Monday, February 26, 2007

So much to say...so little time

Sometimes I don't have much time to blog or don't have anything interesting to share. Other times I don't blog because I have too many things to say and it gets overwhelming considering I have about 5 minutes a day to share information my friends and family may actually find interesting...This will probably be a 10 minute spurt....

I just have to get this story off my chest. It may come across as very strong. Just a warning.

"Save the whales kill the babies" was a very eye catching bumper sticker years ago. Recently I had my own epiphany while looking for a second dog.

One of our dogs, Nakita, died about 5 months ago. At first Ginger seemed alright but now we can tell she is really missing him. So, we possibly want to get another dog. This can't be just any dog mind you. This dog must be a dog who is very cautious of the road, (because we don't keep Ginger fenced and we wouldn't want to fence this one too) stays on the property, not an alpha dog, and about 10 years old or so. (we DON'T want a puppy! Too many kids to train. We can't handle training anything else right now) A few weeks ago I was trying to find a dog in one of the rescue places. I made a call to one rescue place but she informed me that their agency and most other agencies would only give dogs to people who were going to keep them inside. I understand. These groups have spent time and money to save animals and want to make sure people aren't going to let them get killed or let them run away. They want good homes for them. I respect that. Then she gave me an idea to call one of the "kill shelters" and see if they had a dog that would meet our needs. Here's what got me...I couldn't find a dog on any of those sites either but what I found floored me.....
There are pet adoption agencies that have rescued dogs and cats from being euthanized in kill shelters and are putting them up for adoption. The guidelines to adopt are so strict that you'd think you were adopting a CHILD for crying out loud. The adoption request/information sheets are PAGES long. Then it dawned on me...these people have spent LOTS of time and money to make sure a dog isn't euthanized but babies are euthanized in abortions every second of every day.
Well, that's different you say....yeah it is....babies are MORE IMPORTANT than dogs and cats. These people couldn't conceive of anyone ridding the world of an "unwanted" dog but many people support the ridding of an "unwanted" human. People, we have our priorities ALL MESSED UP!!! Try telling a animal rescue organization...
"well, it's probably better off to euthanize it because the people didn't want the animal anyway."
"we had the kittens aborted because we just weren't ready to take care of kittens right now"
"we are just waiting for our finances to get better before we take on the responsibility of new pets"
RIGHT!
The animal rights activists would be ALL OVER THAT!

Just wanted to stir the thinking pot.

more posts later- much lighter ones, I promise.

2 comments:

keithandjennifer said...

I agree totally. I had a similar thought process over listening to a lady at the beauty shop talking about putting her doggie in it's CAR SEAT before taking it to town. I mean these people dress their dogs, have CAR SEATS for their dogs and even bedrooms in their homes all set up for their dogs/cats. Mean while children all over the world need a dry, safe home to live and even more, need the chance to even see the light of day. It reminds me of the Christian song by the group "Newsong" it says: "We are living life upside down." Animals over children now that's upside down.

Susannah said...

Amen!!!!