Thursday, February 1, 2007

Winter Slushyland

Now I know what it must feel like to walk in a slushy. We are experiencing some winter weather in Georgia today. I know, I know all you Ohioans are guffawing right now but it's our own version of snow. This is what is commonly referred to as wet snow. In fact by 8:00am it had already warmed up enough to rain. So it was raining at 9:30 when the boys and I went out to play in the slush-I mean snow. We still had lots of fun running around and throwing snowballs. We only lasted about 10-15 minutes though. Even Thomas, my HOT natured child surprised me with wanting to go inside. After we went in we drank hot chocolate (OF COURSE) and ate homemade peanut butter cookies. We made those this morning while waiting for Gideon to go down for a nap so we could play in the snow. I didn't want to take the baby out in the rain even for such a novel experience. It was a fun school day for us. We baked the first batch of cookies using canned peanut butter (still the all natural kind) and I actually let them burn. I hardly EVER burn anything that I'm baking. (exception being when there is total chaos in the house) Well I did this morning and we had just used the last of the peanut butter and the sugar. sigh. Then I remembered that we had a bag of roasted peanuts in the pantry. So I got those out and the older boys and I went to work shelling them. It was an even better "lesson" because we got to do it completely from scratch. I have an ultimate chopper (like a wonderful versatile food processor) so we ground them up in there into peanut butter. It was great fun. Then we borrowed some sugar from Michael's break room in the basement and made a second batch of cookies. They turned out good. It was a nice treat for the boys....OK for me too.

Then we had a little solid, liquid, gas science lesson. We got some ice out of the freezer, some water out of the tap and some snow from outside. Then we talked about water being able to be changed into solids, liquids, and gases. We melted the snow and then dropped some on the hot burner to make steam. Now it's in the freezer being turned back into ice. They enjoyed that. Well they enjoyed all the experimentation not necessarily me grilling them on "Is water a solid liquid or a gas? Is snow a solid liquid or a gas?" , etc.

Now they are upstairs watching Veggie Tales Jonah movie and I'm off to the basement to do my devotions while riding the elliptical machine. Sometimes multi-tasking is important if you have 2 important things that need done every day. I'm always trying to see what I can condense. Michael thinks it's funny that I blow dry my hair and brush my teeth at the same time. Hey every little bit helps. Blessings!!- ADL

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Sounds like fun! Good "seizing the moment" there.

So glad you're getting over the pinkeye. Definitely *not* fun.