Monday, February 18, 2008

I Have 15 Minutes

OK I have 15 minutes and I'm bound and determined to let you catch up on at elast a few things that have gone on here in the last month.

As a Family- We hired a driver about 10 days ago and so far he seems to be working out great.
That's a blessing!! The boys have really been missing hteir time with Daddy and I tell you it certainly is showing in the behavior issues we are dealing with. They have just been even more hardheaded than normal lately. Yesterday Michael let me take a nap in the afternoon and took the boys to LAvonia McDonald's to play on the indoor slide. That was a welcome thing for all of us. :)

Homeschool- Pretty much same old same old. The boys are doing great with Science and Social Studies. I enjoy teaching those subjects and they seem to enjoy learning about people and the world. They are both doing pretty well in the Math Cirr. we just started. I know it's a bit late to start a cirr. but I took my sweet time picking out a Math one. We are just using Saxon Math. 1.
Gideon is finding more productive ways to amuse himself lately during school and other than the black eye he gave himself today (falling into something most likely. We don't know. He didn't come and show me) he was pretty well behaved. He climbs up to the table and "colors" on paper while we do school.
Judah is really taking off with reading to himself. He read the entire 136 page Dick and Jane (something or other) in 4 days- UNPROMPTED. He will just get the book, go sit in a corner, and read to himself. This is a wonderful alternative to irritating his younger siblings so I'm pleased in more ways than one.
Thomas is less lazy these days. He used to say things were TOOOOOO HAAAARD before we even started. Lately he is attacking things with more gusto. RIght about the time I just decided that it didn't really matter how much he was learning since he's only 4 he just took off. LOL
He is starting to be able to blend sounds into words. We had gone as far in Phonics as he could go without that skill and then I just left him alone for a couple of months without doing any and one day asked him to blend a 3 letter word and -BINGO- the light went on and he got sooo excited. Probably because I let out a HUGE SCREAM and swept him into a gigantic hug!! LOL Judah was excited for him too. :) He LOVES Starfall.com . Judah does too. That has been a huge blessing while we've been teaching reading.

Church- The boys are still enjoying Awana. I haven't been as diligent as last year but they are both still doing well and are caught up where they need to be. Sometimes it's just that we learn the verses last minute and I hate doing that. I don't want them to learn and dump. I want them to retain. Because of the great program Awana is I decided not to do a Bible class during homeschool. They are learning so much Scripture in Awana and our Science and Social Studies are Bible based so they get it there too.

Well my 15 minutes is up so I have to go. More later I hope. I have a really funny story that i've been saving till I can tell it in detail. Gotta go!- Angela :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Thomas is starting to take an interest in school. He is only four but it's never too early to get them started. It was good to let him go for a couple of months without pushing him. Good job Thomas.
Card Grandma