Tuesday, May 13, 2008

3 DAYS!!

In exactly 3 days Amy and I will be talking it up in Atlanta. Wahoo!

This week is passing at the speed of mock 10. Judah is the only one who has school left to do. He is plugging away at his math every day. He HATES when he misses any answers. I wonder where he gets that competitive spirit from? heehee :P Here's a realization that I had over the weekend that will help you figure it out...

Someone asked me this weekend why I get nervous every time I have to sign something for a deaf person. (I guess I appear so confident in everything else. :) Singing, piano, acting, speaking, teaching, etc. )
When she asked me why it is that way for me I noticed something...
Those other things I listed that I do- I can practice those until I am nearly flawless. I don't have to show anyone all my mistakes. I don't have to be vulnerable. With sign (or French, or any other language) I MUST practice with someone who is fluent. I make mistakes. I flub up. I must be vulnerable and open to criticism. I must be humble enough to learn. That doesn't come super easy for me. I have to lay down pride for that and that is one of the things I struggle with. I would have to say that it's gotten much better but it is still one of those sins that's so ingrained and sneaks up on me before I realize it. It was definitely something to look at about myself and ask God for help in that area.

Judah came up to me today and told me that he is almost ready for the 2nd second grade reader. I was SHOCKED. I couldn't believe that he'd read through the first one already. He reads during rest time. I don't listen very often because I had stopped giving him formal training in reading right now. (doing light school these days) He mostly reads on his own. I was surprised to find, as I listened to him read me a story, that he really is reading almost everything correctly. Not everything of course but good enough. I hate that I can hardly take any credit for teaching him. He's a definite natural. I guess he takes after me in the reading thing. I remember my dad having me "show off" to his friends by reading the paper. I read well above my grade level in school. Math on the other hand...not so much. Judah seems to understand Math at this point but it's not all that hard yet so we'll see once he gets up in 4th grade or so. That's about when I will turn the Math education over to my husband. haha

Thomas is so funny these days. He makes up these stories of all the things he SUPPOSEDLY used to do. "When I was a baby...," he begins and then fabricates these hilarious stories like- "When I was a little baby I could swim and I was the fastest one." (He can't swim at all now. I wonder where that skill went? lol)
You should have heard them tonight as Michael was explaining the phrase, "dying to self." I almost burst out laughing at the questions they were asking. Too funny.

It's late. I must get some sleep. Happy Wednesday everyone!!

Blessings!- Angela :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job reading Judah. Keep up the interest in reading. Michael's dad used to read the newspaper before he started school. He always had an interest in reading. Good luck Judah at keeping that interest.
Card Grandma