Tuesday, August 26, 2008

101 Reasons to Homeschool

Awhile back, I titled one of my posts Reason to Homeschool #975. (or something like that) One of my friends teasingly wrote that she wanted to know the other 974 reasons. LOL

So, I enlisted some help...I got a few of my friends to help me and together we wrote this...

By the way...just to restate this AGAIN..I'm not personally saying that it's a sin to send your kids to public school. It's just not wise IMHO. :) If you choose to send your kids I will still love you, support you, etc. I'm just saying what I think...because it's my blog. Now...for your enjoyment.


101reasons


First off, let me just give you a link to Ginger's blog. When I read this 6 months ago I found myself nodding to pretty much everything that she said.

Ok so Ginger wrote the first 20...here are the rest...



21. because we can talk about Him and pray to Him without breaking the rules.

22. because I enjoy being with my children.

23. because I get to hear all they're funny little sayings.

24. because KNOW what they are learning.

25. because they will not be exposed to immorality, drug culture and other negative influences I was exposed to in school.

26. because I could spank the bully (if we had one).

27. because my time with them will be over so fast, I want to be there for every moment.

28. because I can provide them with excellent education.


29. Because I want my children to love the sinner, not the sin, and not learn that some sin is ok now.

30. Because the average amount of individual teacher attention the average ps child gets in a day is 3 minutes.

31. Because I want to keep all the awesome new crayons, markers , etc at home so I can color too!

32. Because it takes 2 parents to raise my children not a village.

33. Because Jesus stayed behind at the temple without his parents when he was 12 not 5...or 3

34. Because I LIKE my kids.

35. Because we have fun together.

36. Because I want to learn everything too!

37. Because I want my kids to love learning and not be embarrassed because of it.

38. Because I want my kids to spend more time at home with family than with a bunch of strangers.

39. Because I want an excuse to have my very own library. lol

40. Because I want a personalized education for each of my children.


41. Because I love my kids and enjoy having them around!

42. Because we're training our kids to be missionaries and even the local Christian school does not have that emphasis, much less the public schools.

43. Because we can tailor our curriculum and even teaching style to the individual learning styles of our kids.

44. Because public schools or even parochial schools might label one of our kids, who is very high-spirited, a Behavior Disorder kid.

45. Because if we want to focus only on reading, writing, math, science, and the Bible, we can.

46. Because if we want to follow the Spirit and have an hour-and-a-half devotional or praise & worship time during our school day, we can.

47. Because we can arrange our school day around doctor appointments and not have to worry about it.

48. Because we have total control over what we teach our kids.

49. Because it is a freedom and the best way to keep a freedom is to use it.

50. Because I have a lot more time and experience in figuring out my child's learning style than an overworked teacher does.

51. Because I've been around my child since they were born I know how they think.

52. Because I'm teaching them from day one all about everything, not just when they get to be 5 or 6 and "ready" for school.

53. Because I want my kids to confide in me about their deepest thoughts, dream, and desires. Not their best friend at school, or the school counselor, or their favorite teacher.

54. Because I want to be their favorite teacher

55. Because I don't want my children growing up in the "plastic" public school environment that truthfully is NOT like real life.

56. Because I want them to be raised in a REAL environment that will prepare them for REAL life ie: everyday experiences, real interactions with people etc.

57. Because I want to teach them more than just the "three r's". I want my girls prepared to be keepers of their homes, and my boys to be awesome providers and good fixers.

58. Because I want God to be a part of ALL they do!

59. Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

60. Because my ADHD RAD child is a completely different child when she is with me all the time and being trained by me consistently

61. Because I want my kids to know the Bible better than they know any other book and since they are home with me we can focus everything around the Bible.

62. Because I want my kids to know that boys and girls are different!

63. Because I don't want my kids to be self centered and "me" oriented.

64. Because I want God to shape their/our world view, not the government.


65. Because I want to be the one (my dh and I) to teach my kids what I know about Jesus and the Bible, as opposed to a "friend" at public school teaching them about "spirit guides" and wic*a etc.

66. Because I want more for my kids than just worldy wisdom or being book smart. They can learn that anywhere. My desire is for them to be followers of the Author of Life! I'd rather have a child that didn't know how to read but was sold out for Jesus than one that could read at college level at 9 and lived life for himself.

67. Because in ps you cant move a child to the next grade simply because they are ready to do the work. If they are having a hard time with the work they are likely to get labeled instead of someone sticking with them till they get it.


68. I want to spend our evenings having fun instead if re-training.

69. I want my kids to be friends with each other.

70. Character training.

71. I get to buy school supplies at a discount because I am a teacher.

72. Instead of hearing about their day, I can experience their day with them.

73. To find their passions and find studies that fan those flames.

74. Because families were meant to be together, not go in different directions for most of the day.

75. Because my child doesn't have to wait to go to the bathroom.

76. I have all BOYS and little boys aren't made to sit still at a desk all day.

77. If my boys are hungry they don't have to wait till lunch.

78. If they need a brain freeze break we can put on music and dance together.

79. Closer siblings

80. I get to cheer for my kids every time they do well.

81. They get to cheer for each other every time they do well.

82. NOBODY makes fun of them for NOT doing well...or else.

83. I get to spend time with my kids and hear the great answers they give me to questions.

84. Since there is no peer pressure they like everything about themselves. They accept that their bodies, personalities, tastes, etc. are God given and then LIKE it that way.

85. We can spend all day in our pjs if we want.

86. We can spend all day outside if we want.

87. We can learn by doing. That's hard to do with a classroom full.

88. We can do our reading on the couch, or bed, or pallet, or blanket on the lawn, or...

89. We can volunteer in our community or participate in activities without it making our evenings hectic trying to get homework done.

90. If church runs late on Wednesday we don't have to worry that it will be rough for Thursday morning. We'll just sleep in if we need to or take a nap the next day.

91. Because I want my kids to be one another's best friends

92. Because we can spend 5 months out of the year at the beach and call it a unit study.

93. Because we can go to the zoo during the day when no one is there.

94. Because my kids think going to the library is the "funnest"!

95. Because when they were at school all day they thought their teacher was the coolest and smartest and most beautiful, now they think those things about me...sometimes!:)

96. Don’t need new school clothes.

97. Kids are grateful for the supplies they get cuz they are not busy comparing theirs to everyone else’s.

98. Family spirit is more fun than school spirit!!

99. More practical life skills time (like chores, cooking, cleaning, etc.)

100. NO HOMEWORK!!!

And, in case you are still confused…
101. This
(Click on "in the news")
ought to at least make you think. :)

6 comments:

Elspeth said...

Reason #96 hits home right now in particular. They are all good reasons, though. I'm looking forward to homeschholing my little ones even though my big girls are in school. And you don't have to tell us p.s. parents that you're not judging us every time you post about the joys of homeschool. We know.

musicmommy3 said...

Oh Terry I know that you know. :) I may get a new reader some day. Just wanted to be clear. My opinions come across strongly and I don't want to offend or hurt. :)
I'd rather CONVINCE. LOL

Anonymous said...

Ask and you shall receive! I think it was me that wanted to know the rest of the reasons! :-) Good answers. I'm impressed by all moms who have the time and patience to homeschool their kids.

Love ya, miss ya!
Amy

Anonymous said...

I didn't read your whole list. Did you include "No heavy backpacks to create havoc to their growing bones & joints?"
I was watching a little boy in the libe last week. His backpack had him badly bent over. "Ouch".
Tharen

Lepidoptera said...

I completely agree with so many of your reasons. They are the reason we have chosen to homeschool our children too. Thank God that we have a choice in this matter!

musicmommy3 said...

Good one Tharen! I love it. :)

Lepidoptera,
Thanks or the comment. :)
And, yes, I'm very very grateful that we have the freedom to homeschool in America. Glad you stopped in.