Saturday, August 30, 2008

Playacting

Part of every child's education should be playacting. I remember when we made Pilgrim and Indian hats in Kindergarten and donned them for our Thanksgiving party. :)

Now, being the creative actress I am, I love this kind of stuff. Playacting is even more fun for people like me but most children love to playact and the benefits of learning through play are huge.

So, Judah and Gideon and I were at Bargain Foods yesterday for our monthly grocery run. We were in the Misc aisle when I spotted these...



Since we are studying the explorers, and soon the Pilgrims, I thought it would be great to get a few and then pretend that we were explorers who landed in a New World and had to build forts and houses. :)




I saw the price on one $19.95 and sighed. They would all just have to take turns and share one fort. Then, as I placed the box into the cart I saw another price tag $4.99. Wahooo! I was able to get three. 2 forts for the older boys and a house for Gideon. So, instead of $60.00, which I couldn't have swung, it cost me $15.00!! Yeah! We saved $45.00.



We colored and constructed them last night...Thomas and Judah slept in theirs...and they are still playing this morning. :)




Later I will pretend to be Squanto and we'll talk about how some of the Native Americans helped out the Pilgrims so that they would not starve. :)



During the "construction" phase of our little cardboard colony we had great talks about courage, bravery, fears, food supply, hard work, etc.


Here are a few pics of the finished products...







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the forts and the play house.I know the boys will enjoy and learn from them.
Love, Card Grandma

Anonymous said...

Love the forts! What a great deal you got. I'm sure they are having a lot of fun.

Mari