Monday, March 16, 2009

Why Alpacas?

I'm sure that some of you are wondering WHY in the world we got into alpacas. If not, surely some of you are wondering HOW we got into alpacas. If none of you are wondering those and you're still reading I am going to assume that you want something to read while you finish that cup of tea/coffee and get ready to start your day. :)

Here's the scoop:

For like forever Michael had been wanting to have a small farm. He figured that this would be something that would keep the boys busy and earn a little extra income for us.

Idea #1- Chicken houses. Seriously. He wanted chicken houses. I didn't. At all. I made my opinion known and also let him know that honestly if I had to live near them I might throw up; if I ever had to set foot in one I would DEFINITELY throw up; and I also didn't like the inhumane way they are raised. (lights on to overproduce/grow rapidly, crammed quarters, etc) Plus, there is the little thing (HA!) of chicken poop. Ew.

Idea #2- Cattle. This was an idea that I was okay with because I like to eat beef raised without hormones/steroids, etc. Yum! However, I would have been a FREAK about cow poop. I hate germs. A lot. I was okay with this option but a bit nervous about me or the kids getting kicked in the head by a large animal. I also would NEVER have let the kids play in the field with the cows. Two words- Kick & Poop.

Idea #3- Goats. Michael decided this wasn't something he wanted to do. In his words, "Goats are a pain in the butt."

I will add here that I am VERY allergic to horses. I am also allergic to dogs and cats. Different breeds vary on the severity.

One day about 2 years ago Michael came home from the route and told me about this woman he had met (new customer) that had just moved to town. They had a family and raised alpacas. "Al-what?" I said (or something to that affect) He was explaining that she made things out of the fleece of the animals and that they homeschooled, etc. He said they were really nice. I thought, "They sound weird."
I KNOW! It was NOT NICE of me. I'm not saying it was right. I'm just being honest. *snicker, snicker*

Fast forward to the last Sunday in September 2007- Alpaca Farm Day. Yes, there is a national Alpaca Farm Day. Who knew? Anyway, Michael wanted us to visit the farm. He was interested in alpacas. I had never seen one and figured this would be a nice field trip that we could count as school. Sounded good.

We arrived and there were these three beautiful animals in a pen in their side yard.


Donna Juanita



Rico Arcani

and Wade Hampton who I don't have a picture of. (Yes, I do realize that I just ended a sentence with a preposition. Get over it. )


They were letting people pet them through the pen. I was intrigued. I had seen llamas before and liked them but I didn't like that they spit on people. Ew! These animals were about 1/2 the size of a llama (well Donna was, the other 2 were much younger) and much more gentle. Their fleece was so beautiful! I touched it over and over even though the animals didn't necessarily love it. Alpacas are hypoallergenic! Who knew?!! Michael made sure that I RUBBED my FACE all over the animals' fleece. No hives. No wheezing! Wahoo!!

Then I went up the driveway to talk to this petite and very smiley lady about alpacas. I realized they homeschooled. I told her that we did as well. They had 2 teens and 2 young boys. Hmmmm. We have 3 young boys. They were obviously Believers. We are too. Hmmm. Interesting. I practically DROOLED over Rico's picture. I just FELL IN LOVE with that alpaca. I also noticed that EVERYONE else was asking about him too. He was such a looker! A heart stealer for SURE!

Our boys LOVED the alpacas. When we were pulling away to go home I said, "I want to breed those!" Michael said that he was VERY interested too but that we had to go slowly because of the economic status of the country. I replied, "I want Ryan!!" (That was Rico's first name) Gideon, who wasn't saying more than 5-6 words at the time piped up, "PACA! PACA!" We all were shocked! He continued to ask about the pacas over and over for the next few weeks. I started a "Bring Ryan Home!" campaign with Michael. Michael decided that this might be a good time to pull our stocks in the market and buy a few alpacas. We talked a lot with Becky and Lee (who I discovered were NOT weird! Shame on me! LOL! I actually told Becky that story awhile back and she LOL!) and they came over and looked at our property. They told us what we would need to get started. I became "obsessed" with researching the animals, the industry, getting financial information for Michael. I wanted to HURRY so that we could "bring Ryan home"!!! I was worried that someone else would buy him before we made up our minds. Turns out others WERE interested in him. Becky and Lee called to let us know and we made our decision- We bought both him and a pregnant Delight. They would board there till Delight had here baby and was re bred. We would get our fencing up, our shelter built, etc.

We also needed dogs for protection. So we found both the dogs (who were living in different homes) on puppyfinder.com. We bought them and paid to board them at their current homes until we brought the "pacas" home.


Then life got crazy busy and we lost our driver!


During that time the boys and I went over to visit.



I always spent the most time with Rico/Ryan. I LOVED that guy!!



We were there hours after Delight gave birth to a little GIRL cria. We named here Delight's Destiny.


She was such a doll!!


Then we visited even more often! I couldn't wait to "Bring Ryan/Rico home!"






The first week of December we purchased Cocoa Powder from another farm. She will live there until after she gives birth to her cria in June. She will be re bred and then come to live with us here.



A few weeks ago we brought them home for the first time. Two short weeks later our beloved Rico died. It was such a blow! Then Destiny had to go back till her Mom was finished breeding.

Now Delight and Destiny live here happily.





And THAT'S how we got into the alpaca business. :)


p.s. We still love our family pet/border control dog Ginger! Just in case you were wondering. ;)

4 comments:

Jane said...

I love the way you write...I always laugh.
and ryc....i was having a little after lunch coffee and almost soaked my 'puter re: the need for me to get out more. :) it was GREAT to have the purpose...i'm now struggling to find the next deadline, if you will.

FYI...your field trip to the "paca" farm was two weeks before our life event started....you got some babies! oh how God's timing is sometimes (typically!) difficult!!!

i have a three year old house guest this weekend...we may call you and come see the pacas! (I'll have to clear the field trip with her mom since we will be on the interstate.)

even with your issues with Ryan/Rico, I still want pacas too!

AND...why the need for the working dogs???? to keep wild animals away? we used to have a fox, but i think she is gone now, and we see deer from time to time.

have a GREAT day! (maybe i should have e-mailed you :)))

Lea said...

Thanks for filling us in on the history of your new business adventure. That answered a lot of questions I had:). I was also wondering why you need the guard dogs for protection. What is the threat to the alpacas? Also, why do the alpacas need to have on the covers when they are covered with their own fleece. One would think that their own fleece would keep them very warm but I think you mentioned they can get hypothermia very easily? Are you planning to use the fleece yourselves to make things or will you sell it? It is hard to imagine that the fleece alone would make enough money to cover a return on your investment, but I'm sure it must be or you (and others) would not have gotten into the business. We took our money out of the market too but are not sure what to do with it yet.

They are beautiful animals and very interesting and your dogs are very cute too.

Andie said...

Hey, how is Cygwyn's leg? I hope all is well!

Kidcraze said...

Thank you for writing all that out.
I found it to be very interesting.

I'm sorry that Rico didn't make it.
The "girls" are looking good out there, though. When will the new cria be due, assuming her re-breed went well?