Thursday, February 22, 2007

I LOVE GEORGIA!

I feel almost human again! Could the reason be that the sink is empty and the dishwasher is loaded? Could it be because I'm almost caught up on laundry (still one load to fold)? Or could it be because the kids and I spent about 4 hours OUTSIDE today! I think it is the later although the other reasons factor in too. The fresh air and sunshine does me a WORLD of good.
It was 70 degrees this afternoon and the kids and I had a FABULOUS time playing outside. Gideon lacks shoes. oops. I hardly ever put them on my kids till they start walking well but now that we are going to be outside more I need to get him a pair. The pair I got him a few months ago are too small. Anyone need ADORABLE baby loafer type shoes in size 3?
The good news was that it was warm enough for him to go in his sock feet in the morning and barefoot this afternoon. We spent the day climbing trees, swinging, sliding, running briefly in the woods, and hiding (and telling stories) in the wheat grass that is in our fields. (that is taller than Thomas in many places) That was really fun. It was like being hidden from sight and still being able to look up at the gorgeous blue sky God gave us today contrasting with the gorgeous green trees.
The good thing (not the only good thing, a good thing) about Georgia is that spring comes before the calendar says it's supposed to. Growing up in northern Ohio spring comes, maybe, in May or sometimes June. Okay it comes before that but it's not really WARM or anything. Here we are in the 60s in March and sometimes the 80s, but definitely the 70s, in April. I LOVE IT!! Winter is so loooong in Ohio. It's so short here. Granted I do miss being able to go sledding and build snowmen but seeing the daffodils bloom last week reminded me why I love this state!! The warm fresh air reminds me of summers of my childhood. It's funny how smells can take me back to memories so quickly. One whiff of the air today and immediately I thought of my family grilling steaks in the summer while Jay (my brother) and I played football or Frisbee in the yard. (usually we grilled hamburgers but I loved when we did steaks)
We had steak for dinner tonight (of course) and i got to play Frisbee with the kids plus the little escapade in the wheat grass.

It's funny though. Even though I have lots of fun with my kids every spring (hiking, walks, etc) the first whiff of spring air belongs to my past...a little town in Ohio where the yard was filled with kids playing football and my dad was tinkering with cars in the garage, where mom and I made salads after we went uptown to the small butcher's store to buy fresh meat for dinner, and where the sun set while we were running barefoot through the grass or the field next door (and my mom telling me to put shoes on because I might step on a bee- by the way- I STILL don't wear shoes anytime I can help it and I have only stepped on 2-3 bees in my entire life)

Thank-you God for good memories and wonderful smells and beautiful warm pre-spring days!!!

Love and blessings!-
Angela :)

2 comments:

Susannah said...

Stop! You're making me homesick!

When we lived in Chicago, and people would find out I was from the South, they would say they were sure it was nice, but they could never move there. They'd miss "the seasons."

I was like: "WHAT seasons?" You are so right, seems like the daffodils don't bloom until June 'way up there. Did you know it gets just as hot and humid in Chicago during the summer as it does in Atlanta? And yet winter is at least a couple of months longer. I remember staring out the window one Halloween, watching the snow fall, and my brain was going, "This is wrong. This is very, very wrong." And then at the other end of it, you get snow in April sometimes!!!

I'll never forget coming home one March and being overwhelmed with emotion upon seeing the dogwood and azaleas in bloom.

Wah! I miss Georgia.

musicmommy3 said...

Susannah-
I was in a wedding in April 5 years ago and it DID snow that weekend. We were outside taking pictures in our sleeveless dresses and I thought I was going to cry I was so cold!!
LOL

Come to think of it- I do believe they got snow in April 2 years ago too.

I love Georgia
I miss snowmen.

LOL