Thursday, July 19, 2007

This must be...

GLUE your children back together week. If you have no idea what I'm talking about read http://thekissackfamily.blogspot.com/2007/07/we-interrupt-regularly-scheduled.html



(sorry I still don't know how to do that with just a name)



It was a basically typical morning here except that Michael took Thomas with him to deliver garbage cans. I took Judah and Gideon to Walmart to go grocery shopping. Then we came home, unloaded the groceries, and played outside for about 1/2 hour. Judah was getting hot so he wanted to go inside. Judah and I were playing games at the computer in the guest room. We were almost done when I noticed that Gideon had removed the register cover (you know the metal part). Since there are sharp screws sticking out inside the tube I was about to go and get him. He dropped the metal thing down the hole. Then IT happened....he fell in. (if there were music to this it would be the DUM DU-DU DUM kind) He was stuck so I lifted him out. I figured he had probably cut his foot on one of the screws. I was not looking forward to seeing the damage. He wasn't screaming. He was just crying. When I lifted him out blood ran down his leg and onto both me and the floor.I rushed him into my bathroom hoping to save the cream colored carpet (That I will again mention- we didn't install. It came with the house.) However, my bathroom door was locked in an effort to keep Gideon out. (ironic, isn't it) So there I was with Gideon dripping blood all over trying to grab the key to unlock the door. I got him into the sink and cleaned away the blood but it was still streaming. I couldn't even tell at this point where it was coming from. So I grabbed a hand towel and applied pressure hoping to stop the bleeding. Gideon didn't seem to care for any of this treatment. (I'm not sure why?) :):)

After a few minutes I was able to assess the damage and realized it was a pretty deep gash in between his fourth and little toe. The good news was that the skin seem to lay so well I figured we could glue it, tape the last two toes together, and be done with it. I would strongly urge you NOT to try this at home unless you have seen a child be super glued in the ER. (I happen to have witnessed this TWICE before and figured I could handle it here; especially considering it wasn't on the face where scarring was going to be an issue.) Anyway, we were out of super glue. GRRRR I had to call Michael and ask him to bring some home and also some adhesive tape. I tried wrapping the last two toes together with bandaids but it was bleeding again before too long. SIGH. (keeping him off his feet for a day or two is going to be TORTURE!!) Thank goodness it stopped bleeding after a few minutes. During this time I'm trying to get Gideon lunch, myself lunch, get Judah's video set up for him, etc.

Then the thought occurs to me- "OH NO! He's not had a tetnus shot yet!" ( we start immuniztions after they are a year old. Most of you know why. If you want an explaination- email me) I called the nurse and explained that the metal wasn't rusty and was relatively clean. She said just to watch him carefully for fever or signs of infection. I would have done that anyway. (side note- please pray against a tetnus infection) So, I was waiting for Michael and Thomas to come home with "the goods".

They arrived and I cleaned Gid's foot up again (Aided by the chocolate chips Judah kept putting in his mouth).

Judah and Thomas kept feeding him the chocolate chips while I glued his wound together. Michael was there holding Gid's leg and trying to distract him. The funny (and annoying) thing was that Gid was so happy to see Michael he kept trying to kick his feet. With the chocolate distractions we got it together with relative ease. Then I taped his last two toes together with heavy duty adhesive tape. He's sleeping now. Poor baby. He's all worn out.


ho hum...
All in a day's work....thankfully not a daily chore.

1 comment:

Andie said...

Yikes, what a day!!! I hope Gideon heals up quickly!! BTW, have you heard anything from Amy lately??