Thursday, October 11, 2007

Interesting Part 2

I am preaching to the choir for the most part but I still wanted to record my thoughts on the last post. I don't claim to know everything. These are just my observations.





I hardly know where to start.


First of all I have to put a homeschool plug in here. I don't think that homeschool is the ONLY way to go to get the job done but, you have to admit, it does help...To Escape the Neverland thing. People are, all the time, saying that homeschoolers are sheltered and it's not the real world, etc. I don't know how much more real it can get then learning how to function in day to day life plus getting an education at the same time. My boys know what it takes to run a home. They also know some of what it takes to run a business because they are immersed in them while they are educated in "book learning" here at home. Do I think that if you don't homeschool your kids you are not going to be able to teach them to live responsibly- HEAVENS NO!! But you must admit there are definite perks to homeschooling and the responsibility real world thing. :):)





OK back to regular home life.





We try to keep our boys with us and not shove them off into their own little corner somewhere to do their own thing. In the early years the tendency is to get things done quickly and not to involve the toddlers because it makes more work. If you wait until they are able to do jobs, well then, you're starting too late- IMHO. Our 5 year old, 4 year old and even our 21 month old all help around the house. It's just part of being a family. They are learning to work together, to prefer others, and how a household runs at a young age. I have them do almost everything I do, with me, except when using harsh chemicals like bleach. They unload the dishwasher with me, fold towels, unload the dryer, try to sweep floors, wipe down things in the bathrooms, make beds, etc, etc. They were THRILLED when they were told they could learn to dust. They don't (usually) look at chores as just work. They look at them as time to hang out together and make our house a comfortable place to live. (most of the time- LOL) I believe they are starting to understand how to run a household. My husband and I own a small garbage company so the boys help there too. They wash out garbage cans, help Michael load them onto the truck to deliver them, go on routes with him, etc. Make NO mistake... They have plenty of time to PLAY and just be kids. However, they are learning to be responsible around the house and how to run an efficient business. We are also teaching them about putting others first and learning about God and His ways. I think that's equally important.


Someone who is taught that they are not the center of the universe will overall be more responsible than someone who is taught that the world revolves around them. Practically speaking I plan on giving my kids more and more responsibility as they age and show that they are capable of handling it. My parents did that part of my upbringing very well. They just kept letting the rope out gradually as we proved trustworthy and responsible. If we showed that we were immature or not trustworthy we were reigned back in a bit. :):)


Also, like others are doing, we are training them to tithe, save, and give with any money they make. I figure that anything that is taught from an early age is just easier to accept when you are older. Of course, teens and young adults make their own decisions eventually and that's why I'm starting as early as possible on habits I want my boys to have for life; living God centered, others centered, being helpful, being grateful and thankful, LOVING OTHERS, kindness, contentment, PRAYER etc. etc. etc... Now, if I could only model all of those things better. LOL Thank-you LORD for giving my kids your Holy Spirit and for continuing to teach us no matter what age we are.







My wise husband wanted to weigh in on this one so these are his edited thoughts. :):)


Regarding the "kids" who are 25 and are at the "end" of their adolescence... (this is me again- How can you read that and NOT laugh or roll your eyes. It just sounds so ridiculous to me!) Back to Michael, sorry honey-


Michael said that you have to remember that those 25-30 year olds that are still living adolescent lives and are still living in their parents' houses are children of those who grew up in the 60s and 70s. Remember the 70s?- drugs, sex, "freedom", hippy lifestyle etc. Those are the PARENTS of these "children". Is it any wonder that they are saying, "oh, it's OK that you still live at home. No worries, man. Have another joint. (He's NOT saying that every 25 year old "adolescent" is smoking pot. )


I thought it was a valid and interesting point.

Gotta stop now. I must think about making dinner.


8 comments:

Tia Lynn said...

Good post. I do not have kids or anything so maybe I shouldn't have an opinion on homeschooling. Will and I plan to send our kids to school, not because we are against homeschooling or anything, but just because we both had good experiences in school. So, we'll see what happens. I definitely think there are pros and cons to each, and each work better for different kids, etc. It's great that you are so committed to homeschooling and pouring yourself into your children. I think that's what really makes the difference.

Tia Lynn said...

OH BTW...I changed my URL to

www.abandonimage.blogspot.com

So you gotta change it on your sidebar link to my page for it to work! Love ya

Elspeth said...

You are right about starting early. I don't know if you saw my follow up to your comment on my blog, but that is one mistake I made with my older kids. Like you said, it was just so much easier to get it all done without them "in the way". I am trying not to make the same mistakes with the younger ones we're being blessed with. Your husband makes a good point. This trend is by and large just a natural outgrowth of the generation before us. Thankfully, my parents refused to allow me to reamin a kid indefinitely.

DeeAnn said...

You have to come to Mom & Me on Tues. Last week it was about teaching kids the value of work and doing it as unto the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you'll go back on your posts far enough so I'm commenting here about the boys pics. on Oct 5th. I love the pictures you colored boys, great job. Keep up the good work. Got your letters too. Will answer them soon.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you go back on your posts for comments or not so I'm leaving a comment here regarding Oct. 5th. I loved your colored pictures boys. Keep up the good work. I also received your letters. Will answer them soon.

Jane said...

not a parent here....but I see the pros and cons of both public school and homeschooling.

I think a private school in Anderson has a middle of the road approach. The children go from 8-12 getting the core stuff. Then the children come home with very little homework, and the family does the extra stuff together, lunch, music, exercise, arts...etc.... For me, that is the best answer, cause I don't know that I have the knowledge to teach stuff that I didn't learn in school.

As a kid, I grew up on a working beef farm, there were chores to be done 365 days a year, and in the summer in Ohio, it was time for lots of planning for the winter (food for people and animals alike). There is nothing but good that comes from children having responsibilities in a family.

musicmommy3 said...

Goodness, I wasn't saying that homeschool was the only way to teach responsibility. I agree that public school kids can still be taught responsibility at home. I was just saying that homeschool kids have more practice time. :)