Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sorry Y'all

Sorry that it's been a few days since I posted. I have been reading the blogs I normally read though. I just wanted to think some things through before putting in my own opinion on the matters. Also, it was going to get long (I know y'all are SHOCKED at that-LOL) so I thought I'd post on my own blog.



First of all I am still researching the Emergent Church so this is not all written in stone. I am coming to some conclusions but they are not permanent ones.



The post that Catrina put up here: http://travelstocertainty.blogspot.com/2007/10/im-at-it-again.html is actually the second post on the subject. Scroll down to read the first one first. :)



This post by Tonya http://thekissackfamily.blogspot.com/2007/10/seeker-freindly.html



could have totally been written by me. In fact, for a second, I thought I wrote it!! Just kidding but it is REALLY along the same lines that I am currently thinking. HOWEVER,

Christy's comments on Catrina's posts got me to thinking too about how there are so many different branches in different denominations. Let's take the label Charismatic Christian for example...some people would get a picture of a community of believers who are passionate in worship, devoted in lifestyle, believe in the gifts of the Spirit; while other people would get a picture that looks more like: shallow, flighty, passion without character. It all depends on the experiences you've had with those who may fall under that label.

One reason why I do not like labels. :):)

The one thing I REALLY like about the emergent church is their missional style of Christianity. On so many levels I think that they are nailing that area.

The sad part is that a lot of the blogs from the EC don't hold the Scripture as relevant to "today's culture" and are putting strange spins on the Word of God. I'm sure that that does not apply to all who classify themselves as emergents. Do I think that all of us are ever going to agree on every aspect of Scripture?- Nope! Do I enjoy having discussions, or "conversations" with others regarding Scripture- yep! However, for me, the basis of discussions on Scripture have to begin at the place where the Word is held as the inspired Word of God, not whether it is culturally relevant for today's people.
I just want to put in some Scripture that I read yest that really JUMPED out at me and I want to preface this by saying- THIS IS NOT aimed at any person as a dart. I am not saying that anybody is not a real Christian. That is for God to decide. I just wanted to put down what is in my heart regarding the subject.

Galatians 1:
6I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
10Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.



11I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.


My point is this: Are we trying to please man or God?



The idea of being culturally relevant and authentic and just plain real to people is GREAT! The pitfall can happen when we get so caught up in making things relevant that we forget who we are. We forget that the BOTTOM line is that we are living for God. We belong to Jesus. We are His servant, heirs, children, and bride.

The Bible and God's ways are foolishness to those who are perishing. They won't always get it. God is the one who opens our eyes and hearts to the gospel. John 6:44- "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him..."

We don't need to live like the world to be culturally relevant. The Bible is always going to be relevant because it is a love letter written to us by God. In it, we can find His heart. Of course the Holy Spirit also helps us do this. People will always need a Saviour and always need hope.

I'm not going to go on and on about this. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Please, no more arguing about head coverings. Keep that over at Catrina's.

Oh and DeeAnn if you ever decide to punch Tia you should probably be wearing a head covering!! :):):) LOL LOL
(for those of you who are lost just read the comments on the links in Cartina's blog.)

I will try to put up a non confrontational personal post later today or tomorrow. Love y'all! - Angela :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...I finally found your web home! Most of this particular post is way over my head and out of my league :), but I just wanted to say hi -- and way to go! I love your blog! Miss you girl! DYEKTYMH?

-Amy

Elspeth said...

I agree with you on the issue of labels. I also agree that we have to be careful how far we are willing to go in order to "be relevant". You make some great points. If we live out our faith with integrity and treat all men with the love and respect God has shown to us, we don't have to worry about whether or not we are relevant. In a world where almost everything is about keeping up appearances, our authenticity won't go unnoticed.

DeeAnn said...

I love that scripture reference. I'm glad you pointed it out. You have a great way of articulating your view and mine, too.

Tia Lynn said...

Angela, I think you are very balanced on the subject. When I read the scriptures I see tons of examples of being culturally relevant (without compromising the gospel) to better reach the people of that culture. Christ told parables used CULTURAL scenarios and symbols that were familiar to the people of THAT time to convey an all time truth. Today, comparing mustard seeds, wheat, chaffs, and oil lamps to the Kingdom of God would not really resonate with the people of our culture, thus we think of new metaphors and methods to convey the same truth, just in a different way. Paul says that when he was with the Jews, he was like a Jew, and when he was with the Greeks, he was like the Greeks. He made reasonable cultural accommodations in dress, style, language, and custom to “be all things to all people,” not to “please” man, but to better minister to them and reach them with the truth in a way that would be relevant to them. So, when I see EC people breaking out of traditional church language, worship, evangelistic methods, etc. I don’t see it as “seeker-friendly” or “worldly,” but trying to present Jesus in a way that the people of this culture can grasp. Obviously, if their motivation is to change the gospel (not necessarily question certain aspects of biblical notions) or to just please man, then that is not healthy or helpful to anyone. I just get concerned EC folks embrace creative and sometimes slightly ambiguous music or shocking art or other non-traditional methods of reaching people and living in their faith and are branded as “worldy.” So, I just thought I’d throw that in. Good post, sister