Friday, November 9, 2007

Falling Short

This post is more a reminder to myself than anything but if it helps someone else, then great!

As a mom I tend to over-analyze things and wonder if my kids are going to be scarred for life at some point. I am constantly stressing about the things I don't do well at and wondering if that will cause deficiencies in my kids' lives. (Can you say STRESS OUT?)

The truth is...all of us are deficient in some area or another. All of us have different strengths and weaknesses. All of us have different personalities and YES, ALL of us have areas that we need to work on.

I cannot, nor ever will be, the ultimate "perfect" mother. The only perfect parent ever is God the Father. No one else has His qualifications.

We can however use what God has given us. We can listen to the Holy Spirit and grow in areas. We can pray and ask God how to specifically parent each of our precious children.

Nobody will ever do it perfectly. We have to work with what we have and trust God to supply what we lack to our kids. :)

We always want to be "the other mother" you know, the one who is organized, makes perfect meals, cares for the sick and needy, is consistent at discipline, is overwhelmed with love for her kids, who never raises her voice, is always wanting to be "bothered", etc. etc. etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I never will be. God gave each of us the specific children we have. He has great plans for our specific families. I am trying to trust that, when, time and time again, I seem to fall short.

I am choosing to grow though. I am choosing to let God change me in areas of weakness. I am still learning to love others more than myself. :) I am just trying not to chose defeat when I see myself fall short...daily.

I laughed the other day when I remembered something I heard comedian Jeff Allen say...He was talking about "all kids needing therapy" one day. He said that he told his boys that if they ever even perceived an injustice to write it down, date it, and he would initial it. He said it would help them breeze through the therapy process later in life.

LOL - I may tell my kids the same thing one day. :):)

Hope that everyone has a great weekend.

Sorry that I haven't blogged this week. It's been a bit crazy coming back from last week's cold. I had to catch up on so many things around the house. Plus, a couple of business things came up that I had to handle, plus homeschooling etc, etc, etc. Hopefully next week I will get more chances to blog about the mundane happenings of our lives. :)

Love, Angela :)

3 comments:

Elspeth said...

You were Divinely destined to write this just for me. Thank You, thank you, thank you! Have a great weekend.

musicmommy3 said...

Thanks Terry! Glad that it touched you.

Christy Fritz said...

always good to be reminded of this.:)
thanks for sharing, it's a good way to start my week.
hope yours goes well.