Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Relevant Without Compromise

At first glance this post may seem trite but please look deeper to the harder questions that may arise in your spirit after reading this. Sometimes things are not so black and white. I'm not saying there isn't absolute truth because there definitely is but what I'm saying is that not everything in the Christian life has an easy answer.
This post has been stirring in my spirit for WEEKS now. I read this post over at Makeesha's blog http://www.swingingfromthevine.com/2007/10/18/can-we-help-those-unlike-us/ .

I posted a comment and then kept waking up throughout the night to think on what was stirring in my spirit. I mean, I WANT to be able to relate to all types of people. I don't want to be looked on as "untouchable". I am willing to give up things to do that. However, I'm not willing to compromise morals to do it. (For the record I am NOT saying that Makeesha is saying you should. Just to be clear, this is about what I feel God is speaking to me.) So, for the last 3 weeks this topic has been stirring in my spirit- How can we, as Christians, be relevant without compromising.
The first set of things I am going to share was written down, by me, the day or so after her blog post. The second set of things was written down last Sunday during our pastor's sermon titled- "Worldliness, External or Internal?"

First Set of Thoughts-
Let's look at Jesus and the Samaritan woman. To speak with her at the well that day He had to overcome many obstacles: cultural stereotypes (Jew/Samaritan), gender, "privilege". He did all that without changing who He was.

Here Paul warns us not to succumb to temptation:
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
1For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. 2They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3They all ate the same spiritual food 4and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered over the desert.
6Now these things occurred as examples[
a] to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry."[b] 8We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did—and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. 9We should not test the Lord, as some of them did—and were killed by snakes. 10And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.
11These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. 12So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.


Here he mentions the call to be separate from the world...
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[a]? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."[b] 17"Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."[c] 18"I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."

also 2 Corinthians 7:1
1Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

YET, Jesus Himself hung out with the worst of the worst. He ate dinner in the homes of criminals (tax collectors), He touched the forbidden sores of leprosy, He spoke to the prostitutes, etc. Even in His greatest hour of trial (on the cross) He reached out to a criminal and gave him eternal life.
How was Jesus able to live and walk among these people without changing who He was or watering down the message He brought? People were attracted to Jesus (and later His disciples) but not because He was the same as them. They were attracted to His godliness. There was something different about Him. They were also attracted to His humility, compassion, and love. I believe those are really key things we need to operate in.
We can live among those we are serving. We can sell our possessions and give to the poor. We can listen as people poor out their hearts. We need to eliminate as many obstacles as possible to reach others. Paul taught this as well. As much as Paul taught holy living with high standards he also said this:
1 Corinthians 9:19-23
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

There must be a way to do both. Live holy and be relevant. Being relevant without compromise involves humility, love and compassion. It doesn't involve delivering food to the poor so we can check it off our to do list. It doesn't involve "stooping" down to somebody's level to bring them the gospel in a prideful way. People can sense genuineness and appreciate it so much. We need to ask God to pour His love into our hearts so we can give it away to others. We need the Holy Spirit to help us move in compassion. Relevant without compromise.

Second Set of Thoughts/Notes from the sermon on Sunday
There is a tendency to withdraw fr0m the world. Jesus made friends with sinners. Not all of them were "quality" friends.
We need to be immersed in the lives of those we are trying to reach. Its a more effective method. Yet, God calls us to be separate.
DUCKS SPEND THEIR TIME IN WATER AND YET NEVER GET WET. hence the phrase "water off a duck's back" Immersed yet dry.
QUMRAN'S DIVE AND HUNT FOR FISH BUT COME UP SOAKING WET. THEY CAN'T EVEN FLY BECAUSE THEIR FEATHERS ARE SATURATED.

Which bird are you? Do you come away from being immersed in the lost wet or dry? There is a balance. We need to hang out with others in the Body of Christ but we also need to be immersed in the lives of the lost.
"Keep it in balance.
The path to holiness is not isolation.
The path to holiness is sanctification and unity with the people of God amidst ministry to those in need."

Again the theme seemed to be relevant without compromise.

Let's look for ways to do that. Let's challenge each other to really love the lost in a tangible, touchable way.

Blessings on your journey!
Angela :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need to remember that our culture is such that we want others to like us. We need to remember that others will not always like us. They didn't all like Jesus. There are different responses to the gospel. We are not responsible for others to like us. There will be different responses no matter how we share the Gosepl. No matter how far we go.

-Ruth

musicmommy3 said...

Thanks Ruth,

Those are good thoughts. I appreciate you weighing in.

Tia Lynn said...

Good post. The relevance/uncompromised life is a bit of a tight-rope walk. It requires honest assessments of one's own weaknesses and vulnerabilities and examining our concepts of "wickedness" "uncleanliness" and all the other stuff we are to have no part in. I think the problem comes about when we lump unsaved PEOPLE into "the world" categorgy, making them our enemies, people to feared and reviled. But the lost are NOT THE WORLD, only enslaved to the world. The world is not people, but the system and spirit that entangles people. It is that system and spirit we are to battle, stand against, and avoid, not people in the system. This is an imperative distinction that allows us to more completely love our fellow humans.

Makeesha said...

very good point Tia.

I think it's good to really examine and define what we mean when we say "not compromise". People often say that but really don't flesh out what it means and then use it as an excuse to be a complete jack ass OR a complete weirdo in the name of the Gospel.

The Gospel, as lived out perfectly by Jesus is not being an isolated weirdo or a self righteous jackass. Living in the tension of being "little christs" IN THE WORLD is something we not only should do it's what we MUST do if we are to call ourselves Christians.

This is obviously going to look different to different people so I'm not going to judge the specifics.

David and I couldn't minister to clean cut baby boomers in the suburbs and mor than they could minister to whom we do.... which is why the whole concept of missional is important to me.

musicmommy3 said...

Tia,
As always, thank-you for sharing your thoughts. I like the way you describe the world as a system and a spirit that enslaves people. Very good. Also, I really like the tightrope analogy. That's exactly what I'm feeling it's like.

Mak,
Good to see you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I too have no desire to be some pompass, self-righteous, untouchable Christian off in a corner somewhere. The only way I want to be considered a "weirdo" is that my world view and the way I live that out doesn't line up with the world's. I want to be separate but completely touchable. This sounds impossible but I KNOW it's not because Jesus did it. It is however not simple. It is a tightrope walk as Tia so appropriately put it. Thank goodness we have the Holy Spirit helping us.

Christy Fritz said...

i remember being in little 5 points (atlanta) doing a "coffee house" student ministry in college. I had very permed hair, wore alot of makeup then, and had completey "preppy" clothes.:) I knew i wouldn't fit in...BUT i knew i was supposed to be there. anyway i prayed that i would be able to talk to people... just talk. almost EVERY week i ran into some homeless runaway girl who was trying to escape her ultra-religious father. this was probably the only type of person i could be relevant to there. sometimes i was just washing dishes in the corner. other times i just hung out in the coffee house listening to good music or listening to my "coffee- house type" friends talk philosophy with other people they could relate to. one of those friends is now an eastern orthodox monk.:)
one week this team came from out of town into 5 points with a big christ drama, asked for an alter call in the streets and counted conversions, packed up their bags and left. i can't completely say they were worthless, but what i do know is that i was christ to those girls and wherever i was people saw christ. that is ONLY because i have christ in me...his light will draw people to him...not anything i am doing right, and he will send those to me that i can speak to. always... this happened several times in Londons "finest" clubs and pubs, while out dancing or drinking (i guess i should clarify moderately)). christ is in christians... just let his light shine in the darkness. even a small candle can overcome a whole room of darkness. just envision that. it always seemed interesting to me that the grumbling and idolatry pointed out for us to beware of, occured in the desert,totally seperated from the world in complete isolation. and in what seems to me, to be from a people who were totally chosen by god as his people. the desert is a very dangerous place, people don't go there unless they have to for a purpose... i know desert times in my life are much needed and usually for a great purpose,and i think those have also been the hardest times for me to let myself not give into the temptation of my idols, or a grumbling spirit. thank god he delivers us.
as for not being dragged down... that's where tia's point about honestly assesing one's own weaknesses and vulnerabilities comes in. we need to know what temptation to flee from, and he will always guide us...we need not always make plans as to how that will happen. i just always pray for those in darkness (wherever they are) to be drawn to the light in us.(wherever we are)

Christy Fritz said...

oh yah...thanks again for the call yesterday.:)

keithandjennifer said...

A great example of this is Heidi Baker. She has a PHD in Theology, grew up in a upper class beach front community but is "Mama" of hundreds of black orphans and widows in Africa. God called her to do this and she did it. Through God telling us what he wants us to do AND doing it is how we do his work and become relevant. Jennifer King

Makeesha said...

I'm actually not keen on the term relevant - it's sort of outdated and doesn't really reflect the missio dei.

musicmommy3 said...

Mak,

What word do you think conveys a better undestanding of what I'm trying to say? I always enjoy learning new words. :)

musicmommy3 said...

oh, and Jennifer, I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE Heidi Baker. (we'll I've never met her but you know what I mean) She tops my current heroines of the Christian faith.

Makeesha said...

I should have probably said I'm not keen on the concept of being relevant - it communicates something that is rife with problems...just like you've articulated.

being relevant indicates to me someone who's trying to be something their not to gain approval or make their message more palatable or themselves more popular. It speaks more to image than it does to the message itself.

missional embraces the missio dei which is being "sent". The idea is that we are sent to be a blessing, sent to bring healing, restoration and reconciliation to all of God's creation. key there is SENT - we are not drawn to Christ so we can nuzzle at his chest for the rest of our lives and feel good about ourselves.

This "sentness" involves a contextual approach to not only the attraction but the incarnation. not only the appearance but the very message itself. The core, the heart of the Gospel does not change but how it is communicated is what is contextual. we are to live our lives AMONGST not SEPARATE FROM and generally, this is to be done in a context that makes sense to us.

the examples of the exceptions are certainly there but all in all, we are to find our mission in our context and live well there.

musicmommy3 said...

Mak,
I completely agree with missional. I am a 100 percent supporter of it. That's why I have stressed that being immersed in people's lives and living out love, compassion, and humility, is so important.
I am still learning and growing into all that missional means and what it looks like.
I think that the majority of evangelical Christians would agree that we are sent out by Jesus to fulfill the great comission. However, the difference is on how it is fleshed out. Many people only try to bring people into a church (building) and feel they have completed their duty.I am starting to see a selfishness in that where it's like, "you come to us cuz we sure aren't going to come to you."
I want to be immersed in the lives of others and live out the gospel among them. I want to bring Jesus to them instead of telling them to "come and get Him."

Makeesha said...

that's great! :)

Tia Lynn said...

And since we are talking about attempting to be relevant translating to catering to the pretenses of image...I would just like to say: ABANDON IMAGE! :)

musicmommy3 said...

Hmmm, now where have I heard that phrase before?