Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ohio Pics

Amy asked about our time in Ohio so I thought I'd share. None of this is going to be very personal because, it was hard for me, but I will share some of the funny and not so funny things that went on and also, what you really want to see, pictures...
We first started out at 5:36 am. We made it 1/2 hour down the road and had to turn back because we had forgotten Judah's refrigerated antibiotic. HUGE SIGH. So we turned around and came back. Then we started out again from our house at 6:28am.

Our first stop was about 3 1/2 hours later. We quickly stopped for a bathroom break, fuel up, and about 15 minute quick stop at BK for breakfast. We ate quickly because there was supposed to be bad weather coming in that evening and we wanted to beat it. :)

We passed all my favorite nostalgic sights from road trips to and from Ohio to Georgia.

(Yes these are pics that I took while driving. Yes, I still had one hand on the wheel and just glanced and shot. Yes, I probably should be spanked for taking pics while driving but I wanted Renee to see these...)

THE BIG PEACH in Gaffney, SC




The Statesville exit where we (the 4 of us who usually roe together) ALWAYS stopped for dinner at Wendy's.





FarmlandThe start of the mountains...ahhhhh


The first tunnel


We always used to hold our breath and see if we could make it through the whole tunnel without breathing. heehee I can still do it about 75 percent of the time.





The second tunnel
Entering West Virginia my favorite part of the trip!! I LOVE the West Virginia Mountains.



The first of 3 tolls. :) It's so nastalgic that I don't mind the extra expense.
Beautiful mountain!! Isn't God awesome?!



The bridge into Charleston, WV.



The capitol building in Charleston, WV. Isn't it pretty? I've always liked it.




A couple hours later...The OHIO RIVER!!




Only about 3 1/2 hours left!! YEAH!








We did beat the snow!! (an answer to prayer!!) We did get snow that night!! (another answer to prayer!!) We got even more the next day (Thanks Daddy!)






The boys, especially Gideon, were fascinated as they watched it fall. Gideon didn't know quite what to make of the white world he was seeing. :) It was really cute. He kept jumping up on the couch to look out the window and squeal. They didn't play in the snow the first day because it was wet snow on the bottom and was falling fast during the day. It was also cold (18 degrees) and windy.


The highlight of the day had to be watching my dad plow. Our good ole' Southern boys thought that was GREAT!






Then, that afternoon (New Year's day) the power went out about 1:30pm. That was ok for awhile because we had water and a gas stove and lots of sweaters to layer. BUT when it got dark I figured it was going to get tricky. However, the boys did great with no TV and no lights. (Better than my Dad, Mom, and Me did missing all the bowl games!!) My dad had a camping light. When we got cold enough he turned on the 4 ranges and it was almost like a campout. Well, if it hadn't been for the pinkeye. THAT was annoying.



Here's my mom calling the Power Company to see when the power would be back on. They said by 4:30pm....


It wasn't but it did come back on at 8:42 pm-Just in time to watch the kickoff of the UGA game!!! YEAH!!!


It didn't stop the boys from having fun. They ate their second bowl of snow and since they couldn't go outside and play they made little mini snowmen and then ate them. :)


Eating dinner by lamplight!


The following day it had warmed up to 25 degrees so they went out to play. Gideon didn't like it at first but he got into it. :)



5 comments:

Christy Fritz said...

just want you to know that our exit is about 20 min before the statesville one.:) exit 23

Anonymous said...

Love the pics and your story. Life is great isn't it? 3 beautiful boys,a great mom and dad for them and the beautiful scenery God has put here for us all to use and enjoy.

Card Grandma

DeeAnn said...

My kids always say, "There's the peach that looks like a butt!" I guess you can't say things like that to your husband when you think the kids are asleep in the backseat.

musicmommy3 said...

I"ve never said it in front of the kids but one of my college friends ruined the peach thing for me one day when we passed and he said, "Oh look! I'ts the big butt with diaper rash and hemmroids." Disgusting isn't it?!

Jane said...

other than the farm picture, I have seen and know where ALL those driving photos are taken. We could compare photos some time!