Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why I Homeschool Reason #976

Tonight I was watching the boys take a bath. All three were in together and I obviously don't want to leave Gid alone with the other 2 in a bathtub. (silly me, but I don't think at ages 4 and 5 they should be responsible for their brother's life)

I asked Thomas (my little extrovert) a casual question.

I asked, "Thomas how many friends do you have?" (Keep in mind that I was thinking about church friends and wanted to see who he was bonding with lately.)

He thought for a second, pointed to Judah and said, "one." Then at Gideon and said, "two." Next he pointed to me and said, "three." He counted Daddy (who wasn't at home) as #4 and "Card Grandma" as number 5. He said he had 5 friends.

It was so sweet. :):):) I love that the boys (who do fight a lot of the time) are so bonded together. They want to be with each other all the time. When I separate them for discipline reasons or just because I think they've had enough of each other and need a small break, they always ask to start playing together again. :):):) When Michael or I plan an evening with just one of them whoever's eveing it is will, a lot of times, ask if their brothers can come too.
Friends come and go but family is forever and I love that they want to be friends. They have casual friends at church too so I'm not worried that they're anti-social. :)

Now don't anybody freak and say that is no reason to keep your kids out of public shool. Reread the title- Why I Homeschool... not Why You Should Homeschool

Have a blessed day!
-Angela :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one would like to know the other 975 reasons! Just kidding! It's very sweet that your boys are such pals!

Amy

Elspeth said...

I have never bought the idea that school is necessary for socialization, and my kids are in school! I believe that the best way to encourage proper socialization is within the family unit because ideally they will learn what we want them to learn about how to deal with others by virtue of seeing in lived up close. My girls are 13, 12, and 12 (I have twins), and even though they don't have to, they still all sleep in the same room together every night. Like you, I love that they are so bonded and their closeness in age provides instant accountability as they are all in middle school together. They keep each other in check, and I love it!

musicmommy3 said...

Amy- Haha! Maybe someday I'll list them all. :):)

Terry- That's awesome about your girls. It's great that they can look out for each other at school and that they always have a couple of friends there that way. :)
You guys are doing a great job with your family!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe my computer will let me send a comment today. I think it's great how the boys look after one another and I'm proud Thomas thinks of me also as a friend.

Card Grandma

Lea said...

That is so sweet. I agree with your post. My sons love to be together too and really miss each other when they are separated.

Mothertomanyblessings said...

Oh I so agree, that is one of the reason I love homeschooling as well, My kids fight but when it comes down to it they are so close