Friday, March 21, 2008

Exposure to TRUTH

On a blog that I frequently read, the subject of socialization of homeschoolers came up. Truthfully I avoid that discussion most of the time. Why? Because, for me, it's a non-issue. I have read so many things about what true socialization should be (relating to ALL different age groups not just your peers) and that studies have shown that homeschoolers generally are the ones who are more involved in their communities than public school kids. This is probably due to a lack of time for the PS kids. Homeschoolers tend to be (overall here- there are many exceptions I'm sure) more polite, better mannered, less rebellious, less concerned about peer pressure...etc, etc. Those skills lead to better conversations with people. They are able to socialize from a real standpoint. They aren't trying to be like everyone else. I could go on and on and on here...but I won't. Plus, if you want to argue the peer thing I have 3 boys all within a few years of each other so, in our house, we have that covered too. LOL End of discussion for me. :)
But I read and entered into the discussion because most of the other commenters were worried about the socialization issue and I wanted to give the future HS mommy some support.

Here's what baffled me...This comment came up in the discussion:
"How will they know how to stand up for themselves at an older age if they have never had to do it before?"

My first instinct was, honestly, a rolling of the eyes and then I laughed. I was completely baffled that that would be an argument for public school.

Is it possible to learn something before you actually have to use it?...yes.
Let's look at how that could be possible...

Some of this may seem ludicrous and nit picky to you but just try to stay with me as I make my point.

New diabetics practice giving shots to an orange before trying to give one to
themselves.

Some pilots practice on flight simulators before they take over a plane.

When you learn CPR you practice on a dummy first.

When I was painting my living room I practiced stamping the stamps on paper first so when I got to the wall I wouldn't ruin it.

Drs read TONS of how tos and take TONS of classes before they are allowed to practice on people.

My point is this- you CAN learn how to deal with something before you experience it so that when you experience it you will have the right information to deal with it properly.

Actually my first thought was: my kids have siblings. They are learning this skill every day. lol However, they are learning it with parents who are guiding them in the way they should go.

One of my kids is prone to bullying (it's a firstborn trait plus a personality thing). He knows how to "stand up for himself". In fact he knows how to just take what he wants too. :)

My second born is much more of a likely doormat. Thomas is the type to cave in to peer pressure. However, even he doesn't let his brother torment him endlessly. Plus we have taught him how to politely ask his brother to stop picking on him. Then if J doesn't stop Thomas is to come and get an adult to help him. He is not to hurt him back, etc.
This, I believe is consistent with real life. In real life if an adult is tormenting you, you can try to work it out with them and if they continue to hurt you or whatever you go to the authorities (bosses, police) instead of putting them in the hospital. That way you won't get into trouble too. :):):)

Even if you have an only child and socialization is more of a concern...do you go to Walmart where people are likely to be rude to you from time to time? Do you take your kids to parks, zoos, or to McDs play lands where they have to wait in line, share, and possibly be bullied by other children? If you do then you could cover that subject in those places. IMO kids don't need the extended program (aka 13-14 years of school) to learn that skill. (My husband said that if you don't get enough practice at those places all you have to do is take them to the Day After Thanksgiving Sale at Walmart!!-ROFL)

I heard an interesting view on the subject from my husband who heard it at a HS event we went to. The speaker was talking about how the people who check out counterfeit bills (the good guys - not the criminals) are first given real bills; over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. The point was for them to know the authentic thing SO WELL that they would immediately, or more easily, see the flaw in the counterfeit bills.

I want to show my kids the truth: over and over and over so they will know how to handle situations as they arise in their future.

Plus, and to most of you this goes without saying, I want them to learn Jesus' way of dealing with bullies, not the way most children and adolescents deal with them. Very different concept. :)
I don't want them to become doormats for others but neither do I want them hurting others back or taking revenge on others. I want them to show kindness to those who hurt them. I want them to pray for those who torment them. I want them to serve others in love. In fact I want to learn how to do all that better myself. heehee

I want to expose my kids to the Truth of God's Word so that when situations come up later they will have a chance to use the right knowledge, instead of how "everyone else" handles it.

Thank-you and goodnight!!
Many blessings!!- Angela :)

3 comments:

Elspeth said...

Excellent post, Angela. Well said!

Lea said...

I agree whole heartedly...excellent post. Thanks for following up on this and doing it so well. I really appreciated your positive comments on my post:).

musicmommy3 said...

You're welcome Lea and thank-you too. It just frustrates me when people think they have a good reason to send kids to PS but it's not logical. :)

Thanks Terry. An "excellent" from you is like gold to me...seriously.