Thursday, April 17, 2008

Short update...

Well here's what's been going on in our world. heehee (pun intended obviously)

Last week, for several days, we laid some sod. It would have been easy if we were say doing a whole section but...we weren't. We were laying 3 inch strips of zoyza sod all around every paved area of our house. We have a pretty big circle drive in front of the house. We have a decent sized drive going to the separate garage and we also have some pavement in the back in the form of a padio. Hmmmm.
That means my husband tilled all that up in preparation and then we had to cut all the sod into three inch strips. Yeehaw!
It really wasn't so bad for me and the boys. Michael was the one who was really wiped out after 3 days in a row. Tilling was hard because of roots, rocks, etc. He did all of the tilling and then the boys and I helped him lay the sod. Even Gideon helped and BOY WAS HE CUUUUUUTE! i wish I could have laid sod and taken pics at the same time. Michael would give him a 3 inch wide 12 inch long piece of sod and he would carry it ever so carefully over to me and lay in where I told him to put it. (Well, most of the time-heehee)
The boys all did great the first day. The second day they only helped for a bit and the third day Michael and I were on our own. The boys were too "done" to help. We could have made it a training thing but we didn't because A) we really couldn't take the time to deal with attitudes or discipline while we hurried to finish. and B) you have to be careful with the sod and it wouldn't have been good to have that dropping on the ground because they weren't being careful with their work.
It was no big deal. It was actually faster for me to cut and Michael to lay longer strips anyway. Everyone was happy. Well, everyone except Michael who was so sore by the third day that he could barely finish and he's no wimp physically... I can tell you
that!

Friday we had a little prob...Gideon was sitting on my lap in the guest room. We were sitting on the bed and I was talking to the two big boys. All of a sudden Gideon decided to jump down from my lap. The boxsprings and mattress are on the floor so it wasn't even that far of a fall. However, he did it so fast that he tripped and slammed his mouth into the end table (made of leftover hardwood flooring-it's a REALLY hard table). When I saw that I knew it was stitches for sure. He got up and there was only a tiny surfacy scratch on his chin. I was so thrilled till blood started coming out of his mouth. Even then I didn't think too much of it. I figured that he had rammed his teeth into his lips. I was checking his head for a bump to see where he had taken the hardest hit since it was obviously not his chin. I couldn't find a bump nor could I find any lip damage. Keep in mind that his mouth is filled with blood so I know he's got to be hurt SOMEWHERE. Then I saw it...a gaping hole where his tooth used to be. It wasn't one of the front teeth. Rather it was one of the ones next to them. It was knocked clean out. I rinsed out his mouth and gave him ice to suck on. He only cried for, maybe, 5 minutes. I got him some Tylenol a few minutes later to help with the pain. He was no longer crying but was whimpering and wanting to be held a lot. I took him to the dentist but he pronounced him OK. :) He was laughing a few hours later. He was so funny in the dentist office. He desperately wanted to wash his hands in the dentist's sink so I told him that he had to open his mouth first. He was very cooperative after that. LOL

I don't remember what we did last weekend, but it must have been busy. I sang in church on Sunday (Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace my Chains are Gone") and then we ate out and came home and napped.

This week has been school, cleaning, etc. Back to normal. I have been getting back to exercising every day like I used to before Gid was born. It's been spotty since then. I must be getting back into shape though because I jogged six hilly miles on Tues evening. :) Yeah! It was either my better physical condition or my too -stubborn -to -quit pride. heehee Well, and God...I prayed a lot. :)

This afternoon is park day for us. I'm trying to get them to the park once a week to break up the monotony. :)

Hope things are going well with everyone. I hope to post pics soon of the adorable toothless one. (Well not completely toothless but you know what I mean.)And here I thought that my six year old who currently has 2 loose teeth would be the first one to lose a tooth. Nope. He got beat out by his 2 year old brother. Bummer. :)

Have a great day!!

Blessings!- Angela :)

4 comments:

Elspeth said...

Poor Gideon! So sorry for his accident. One up side: at least it was baby teeth.

As for the long and tedious job of cutting and laying 3-inch strips of sod: Hard work builds character! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Angela, your song was so beautiful! God has given you such a gift!

Ashley Dumas said...

Hi Angela,
Poor little Gideon, I hope he is feeling better. Sounds like you handled it really well. I think I would have passed out with a baby with a mouth full of blood and a tooth out : ) Laying sod is such a job, you guys are so brave to take on such a project, I am sure it looks great. Glad to get an update...My parents still tell the story of Judah and your hubby each chance they get, you guys have no idea what it meant to them. Bye for now!

Ash

musicmommy3 said...

Terry- :P (how's that for character!!heehee)

Jenn- Thank-you. I was praying that the song would deeply touch people, especially those who didn't know Christ.

Ashley-
Blood is a common commodity at our house. Thomas has been to the ER twice for lacerations (btwn the age of 18m and 2 1/2) and Gideon sliced open his foot last year and I glued it back together. (I learned a lot at the ER.) I had a small but deep open wound a couple of months ago when I fell down the stairs. :)

Plus, mouth blood isn't too scary to me. Mouths tend to bleed a lot even if it's a tiny thing and Gid handled the whole thing SO WELL. As soon as I gave him an ice cube to sick he was a pretty happy kiddo. He also did good when I had him suck on cottonballs dipped in saltwater.

So glad that Judah being along blessed your parents. Judah and Thomas take turns helping Michael with junk jobs. They love it! besides, the get a little bit of money for helping. That's good too. They are learning to tithe, give, save, and spend. :)