Monday, April 21, 2008

You Had to Be There

Still, I must paint this interesting picture for you...

There we were, our whole family, in the backyard today. I was sitting on a bench, the boys were playing, and my husband was grand slamming carpenter bees. We have A LOT of them and we don't want them ruining our porch/house. So, my husband has been on a mission lately-ridding our home of as many carpenter bees as possible. Yesterday he was using the hose to knock them down and then squishing them. Today he picked up a chuck of wood and, as soon as they came close to him, WHAM! He knocked them to the ground (sometimes 4 feet away) and then stepped on them to finish them off- the ones who didn't die from a heart attack that is. :):):)
At some point all the boys, Gid included, were trying to kill the bees. What was really funny was that the boys would be all ready to get them and then a bee would get close to them and they would run away and shreek. It was quite something. You had to be there for the full affect.

I have a lot to say but not as much time to type lately. I'm working through some stuff with the Lord. It's going well but it will be a couple of weeks before I can share anything. :) Hope all is well with everyone out there in computer world.

Blessings everyone!!

-Angela :)

6 comments:

Mothertomanyblessings said...

that sounds like my boys . hehe

DeeAnn said...

a whiffle ball bat works really well for carpenter bees. Tennis rackets, too.

Catrina said...

I love those curious little bees. I do know that they can wreak havoc on wood, but I always try and make friends with them. (weird, I know)

Ashley Dumas said...

Good Luck with the bees! I think I would have responded exactly like your boys. I would have thought, Yeah I am gonna get one, until it turned and started flying towards me. YIKES! : ) I think that you can paint something on your wood to discourage them from boring into it but I cannot remember what it is. I will ask my Dad I think he got the idea form the Farmer's Almanac. Either that or I am just severely mixing up my childhood memories. Anyways I will check with him.
TTFN
Ash

Christy Fritz said...

our dog loves to catch them, until she gets them on the ground. then she jsut stares at them and lays down next to them, like she's sorry she hurt them. i saved one from her today and put it to rest in the woods. they are a nuisance though.

Tonya said...

Silas catches those things and carries them around. They never sting him. We love them around here, but our house is brick.