Monday, August 11, 2008

Child Training Pill

Our society wants to see instant results. We also want to take a lot of shortcuts. Diet pills are a good example. Many people are looking for ANYTHING that will get them a "free pass" so to speak. They don't want to eat less. They don't want to exercise. "Just let me take a pill that will melt away the fat WHILE I CONTINUE TO DO WHATEVER I WANT TO!" I, personally, have always balked at diet pills. I think they are ridiculous for the most part. I'm sure that there are a handful of people who benefit from them but for the general public...no. You HAVE to learn to eat right and exercise for continued health and weight control.

Today I was thinking about the area of child rearing in my life. I have often wanted a "child training pill" ,so to speak, that I could feed to my children. They would become well trained and I could still be free to: let things slide, be inconsistent, live how I want, have more time to myself; etc. etc. etc.

It just doesn't work that way. We HAVE to change that line of thinking when it comes to our children. Discipleship and training are INVESTMENTS. They pay huge dividends in our children's lives. They also make us look at the junk in our own. We HAVE to be willing to do the work if we want a nice result. :) We cannot haphazardly parent if we want well trained children. We also have to pray pray pray. Pray for ourselves and also pray for our kids' hearts. No amount of child training will make them holy. It will only make them well trained and as a result they will be able to obey God/authority better. God is the one who can change a person's heart.

I am in NO WAY saying that I have arrived in child training. God shows me every day where I am falling short or when I'm wanting the "child training pill". It's a journey but I don't want to become stagnant. I want to keep growing in motherhood and hopefully improve both my life and the lives of my precious blessings. :)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Im glad you are back to blogging.
This was a great post. I really enjoyed it. I too am guilty of wanting that child training pill. :)

musicmommy3 said...

Thank Julie!!

Elspeth said...

I'm guilty too and needed a post like this one. Pretty profound!

Jane said...

oh if there were an easy pill for life. But wait...there is. His name is Jesus!

diet pills have NEVER interested me... tried speed ONCE in high school. I learned my lesson BIG TIME from that one evening. Can't imagine taking that type of drug regularly, even if it is an OTC!

Unknown said...

You're so right, Angela, I like this post from you. :) We're called to follow Jesus which indicates a journey, not just a destination. Step by step, moment by moment, with surrender and obedience. Child rearing has shown me this and humbled me in ways nothing else ever could! I am seeing some of the rewards now that mine are 9, 8, and 6 but there is still soooooo much more to do!