Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Farmer Boy"

I am reading "Farmer Boy" aloud at bedtime to the boys, and by day we are working really hard on the farm. That's what we've been up to. I'm gathering all the info I need to care for the alpacas, and we are clearing away all the cherry trees from the property. Cherry tree leaves are fatal to alpacas. Guess how many we had? C'mon guess? Around 15 of them. Seriously. Most of them were small enough for us to drop ourselves. Then Michael cut them up with a chainsaw. We drug branches, limbs, raked up debris, and stacked wood for several DAYS last week. I also cleared a section of the woods at the back of the alpaca field. We will be finished with that this week sometime. (our part anyway, three of the BIG trees have to be cut down by a professional) The boys have been helping. (Some days more than others.) :) We even roasted marshmallows by the fire one evening after we got finished working. That was really fun!!
I don't have pics because I've been too busy working to take any. :)
I'll try to take a few this week sometime. Very interesting, I know. LOL

That's about it really. Homeschool, farming, church, and bedtime. Our days are full but we are getting a lot done and saving money by doing lots of this ourselves. Next project: put up fence!

3 comments:

Christy Fritz said...

love your "pioneer" spirit...:)
sounds like there have been lots of productive days round your place.
and I totally agree about the sleeping baby post. i'm doing the 3 yr old thing with clara these days, thinking...you CANNOT turn 4.:):):)

Elspeth said...

Hey Angela, is that the boys' art work in your new header?

Sounds like the life of a farmwife is treating you well.

Jane said...

at least your farm is in the south were it is WARM, unlike the cold Ohio farm of my parents. i'm ready to be back in SC, waterless and all!