Friday, March 20, 2009

Mommy's Brain

As most of you know, the last few weeks here have been extremely busy and stressful here. At the end of last week I decided that the kids had been put off for most of 2 weeks with Rico dying, paperwork for the insurance co, Rowdy getting sick, visits to the vet at least 4 times, etc. We hadn't done school (some spring break) and we hadn't really played together much in those two weeks. So, on one of the nights last week (I think it was Thursday) I decided to surprise the 2 oldest.

Michael and Gideon had gone to bed. The other boys were coloring in the dining room. I snuck around the corner and they looked up like they were going to try to talk me out of going to bed. Before they could say anything I said, "Wanna go get some ice cream?" They looked at me like I had perhaps fallen off another planet. (we don't do much sugar here) I smiled and repeated the question. Thomas asked, "Right now?" with a very perplexed look on his cute little face. "Yes! Right now. Do you want to go get some ice cream at Sonic?" Someone (I cannot remember which one) reminded me that it was "night time". I said, "I know. Let's go on an adventure!"

They quickly and quietly got ready lest I change my mind. I think they still weren't sure whether I was kidding or not. We drove there without music which was very rare for me. We enjoyed looking at the stars and the moon. We live in the sticks so there are no streetlights for a bit. You can see them well. We decided that we would go to Dairy Queen instead of Sonic since it was still open.

Judah was shocked when I let him get a whole banana split. (I KNEW he wouldn't finish it!) Thomas got a normal sized treat. For those who are wondering I got the Brownie Earthquake.

The funny part was on the way to the ice cream place. Judah was just sitting there and out of the blue said, "Mom, tomorrow when Daddy hears about this he's going to think that you have something wrong with your brain." I just laughed.

Then he added, "But don't worry, I think that your brain is working JUST FINE!" ROFLOL!!

2 comments:

Jane said...

i love it!!!

it's hard to think outside the box when you are so snowed under, but ya done good! those two will never forget the midnight run to dairy queen when mom had something wrong with her brain.

question...did Daddy know you were going on a field trip?

Christy Fritz said...

very cute!!
I think we all need these kinda suprises sometimes
christy ;)