Sunday, May 17, 2009

Everything? Really God?

Our interm Preacher has been preaching for awhile out of the book of Ephesians. I wasn't able to make a lot of those Sundays because the business had been so crazy busy. We have only been going to Sunday school and then leaving so Michael could work. Well, I've been there for about a month now and I must say- WOW!

A little background: I have always been a very black and white person with a lot of passion for Jesus. These are just things that God put in me. :) These things can be good but the negative side to them is when you get legalistic and prideful, etc. :)

In the last few years I have been really working on many things but I haven't always spent as much time in the Word as I used to. I have also been realizing that not EVERYTHING is black and white. (Go ahead, laugh! Really this was a big revelation to me!) Sometimes people are in different places in their walks with the Lord. Some verses are open to interpretation. Anyway, I have been working on extending grace. This is also a good thing. Except that, I have extended a little too much grace with myself. I realize where I have been lax in certain areas. Today I was reminded of another area. :)

Ephesians 5:15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I haven't been living as carefully as I could be. In some areas I have grown tremendously! In others- not so much.

I was reminded today that I don't give thanks for everything. I definitely don't give thanks enough during the hard times. Part of that is that the last 10 years have been really hard with lots of struggles and rough patches, new lessons to learn, old habits to break, betrayals by friends, etc. I have gotten out of the habit of simply giving thanks to God.

In His mercy, He gave up HIS LIFE for me on the cross. His life!! He also gives those of us Who choose to follow Him the precious gift of the Holy Spirit! He is always with us. He holds us during the rough times. He laughs with us during the good times. He is faithful! He is truth! He never goes back on His promises!

So many things to be thankful for! I'm going to make a conscious effort to give thanks MUCH more often. I want to "make the most of every opportunity because the days are evil". God is good! He is worthy to be praised!!

What has God done for you lately? What do you have to praise Him for?

2 comments:

Toni Dysert said...

Wow - just read this post and its wonderful!! The Lord has given me Psalm 16 and that coupled with Ephesians seems to make those tough, bumpy times much more comfortable - not always to the point of thankfulness, but I'm getting there. Definitely worthy of our trust. He is so Wonderful and we make it so hard. Love and yes, I do miss you. Toni!

Elspeth said...

Gratitude- a great place to build growth. I know I need to.

Glad all is well with you, Angela!