Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Shoulder Update

Here's the scoop for those who don't know...

My surgery was last Thursday.

All didn't go exactly as planned.

I ended up having to stay at the hospital for quite a few hours after the surgery. I was under anesthesia much longer than expected and got sick from it.

Things were worse than they thought and the dr ended up going in and suturing tendons back together.

The whole recovery was supposed to take around 6 weeks originally.

Here's the scoop now-
The doctor and physical therapist say that I have to keep my arm in the sling and immobile (except for twice weekly PT) for six weeks. That will be hard. Then, I am looking at 3-4 months of physical therapy, and a total of 9-12 months before my shoulder is fully functioning again.

Pray for me that I will not go crazy. Thank-you.

8 comments:

April said...

Oh, geesh, that stinks! I spent 9 months of 2005 with my arm in a cast -- most of it the over-the-elbow kind. It was not fun -- but it wasn't horrid. It will go by fast.

And I'll be praying for it to pass quickly and for your patience and, most of all, healing!

Hang in there!

Lea said...

Wow, that will be hard. I missed what you did to it. Went back to try to find it but couldn't. What happened?

Christy Fritz said...

So sorry to hear that, but glad that you are on the road to recovery. We'll be remembering you. It was good to see you.
christy :)

Elspeth said...

Wishing you a much more rapid recovery than your prognosis right now.

Feel better soon!

musicmommy3 said...

Lea-
I noticed some pain in my shoulder about 4 (or so) months ago. It gradually got worse until it was pretty painful a lot of the time. I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon. I had already tried resting it and slinging it. He gave me a Cortisone shot and I waited 3 weeks. I got A LOT of relief from that shot. Then, I went back for a second one. Didn't finish it off. Tried physical therapy for a few weeks. Didn't help. Doc ordered an MRI and found out that I had 2 things wrong. Bursitis and arthritis. WHAT?! I'm only 32!! Anyway, the bursitis is swelling and the arthritis is swelling and they are irritating each other and pinching things and impeding movement, causing lots of pain, etc.

musicmommy3 said...

C, A, and T- THANK-YOU!!

link said...

Oh bummer! I am sorry! I will be praying for ya, sister!

PS are you on the shed yet??

Anonymous said...

I certainly will be praying for you. I had two knees replaced, long-term post surgical therapy x 2. Such really tries one's patience which is a good thing in the long-run. I will pray, Angela, that you will progress super-fast. Your age will be a great help in that process.
Love,
Tharen