Thursday, February 8, 2007

Attitude and Perspective

Some (many) days attitude and perspective is EVERYTHING!! I don't mean that it takes the place of prayer or encouragment from the Word or friends but it does help us defeat the enemy as he tries to sway our minds into negative thinking. None of this is new to most of you. I was just thinking about it in relation to how my day has gone so far.

It started much too early (of course- LOL) with a precious baby and 2 preschoolers waking me up. Judah took Gid into the kitchen with him and I went back to sleep-very briefly. I was awakened yet again to Thomas not long after I shut my eyes. Most of you are probably wondering why I even bother to go back to sleep and be awakened every few minutes like a snooze alarm. Well, it's not that I mean to but I just can't wake up. My body is past the point of being able to run on empty. I have only slept all the way through the night about 8 weeks in the last 5 years. It's taking it's toll on me. I try desperately not to drink coffee because I don't want to rely on chemicals to wake me up so I just stay in bed until my eyes open on their own or the kids are crying for breakfast (which they usually want sometime between 6:30 and 7:15 am. ). Every once in a while I let them get ther own cereal but usually I'm not willing to clean up a mess upon awakening.
ANYWAY (long rabbit trail) I was finally awakened to an adorable 13 month old saying "Mama!" and flinging himself down on me and kissing my face. He hardley EVER kisses. I can count on 2 hands the number of times he's kissed anyone in his LIFE. He likes to hug and he likes to get kisses but he doesn't kiss back. So, needless to say, my eyes popped open in surprise and I proceeded to shower him with hugs and kisses.
The day went downhill from there basically. I just kept getting landslided with things to clean up and I tried to get a nap with the boys watching a video but they woke me up so many times I just gave up. (they weren't trying to wake me up but they are young and forget to be quiet) School was difficult because I was so tired and during school Gideon went on a rampage and got into one thing after another! I finally put him in his high chair and gave him some goldfish crackers to keep him mostly quiet. We finished school and did an early lunch. My body still isn't quite awake and it's about 1:02 pm. I guess I will have to go for the coffee.
As I was sweeping the kitchen floor a little bit ago (for the second time in 10 minutes) I was again reflecting on the fruits of the spirit and thinking about self control. God EXPECTS me to control my flesh even in the trying times. I was feeling like I was hopelessly failing in that regard today and then I had an encouraging thought... Those of us who have the Holy Spirit living inside of us have all that we need to overcome. He wouldn't have told me to have self control if it was not possible! I just have to give myself to Him afresh during the trying times and He will help me master the feelings and temptations. I definitely can't do it on my own in my flesh- that's why it's a "fruit of the spirit" and not a "fruit of the flesh". Some people can have mega self control in the flesh but eventually everyone will come to the end of themselves. I really do need Jesus, not just in theory but in practical everyday life.
I was also thinking as I was sweeping that this was a HORRIBLE day but just as I was about to finish the word horrible another word took it's place in my mind...the word challenging. This is how it went for those of you who are visual...This has been a HOR-CHALLENGING day. Immediately (not kidding) my feeelings seemed to "cowboy up". I am a person who LOVES challenges. I enjoy conquering things. The harder it is the sweeter the victory. So when God inserted the word challenge for me it completely changed my perspective. I had already prayed and asked Him for help earlier. thinking about my day as a challenge helped me to go from frustration, exhaustion, and defeat to a "perking up" in my spirit and body, a goal, and a HOPE. I reminded myself that He's given me everything I need to complete the challenge of this day. I refuse to let the enemy win battles today that start in my mind and with my attitude. Thank you Lord that you have made me MORE than a conquerer- and if you please Lord could the rest of the day be a little less challenging.
Thank-you!- ADL

No comments: