Friday, February 16, 2007

ATTITUDES

About a month or so ago Thomas was having bad attitudes almost on a daily basis. It was really driving me crazy. My happy, artistic, friendly child was angry, argumentative, "mouthy", and generally just difficult to get along with. It took great patience just to spend a couple of hours with him. During this time I prayed A LOT. I tried to watch the way I spoke to him (not that I always did that perfectly. I tend to be a bit sarcastic), discipline as needed ( and that was needed a lot), try to get him to speak in a respectful voice, etc. (most of the time through clenched teeth)
Well, one day I had just had enough. I said, (with a very loud voice) "THOMAS! I'm going to take your bad attitude -and THROW IT AWAY!" I proceeded to pretend to snatch the bad attitude from his heart and hurled it into the air (figuratively of course). He thought it was so comical he forgot to be angry and argumentative. I was so surprised at what I said (I didn't set out to say that) that I forgot to be frustrated. THis began a new game we have when any of the kids, or I for that matter(ahem), have a bad attitude. We say, "Take your bad attitude and THROW IT AWAY and put on a good attitude!"

Now, right after we started that I was thinking about how this related to what God says in His Word. I want to teach my children the godly way to do things not just a "good" way of doing things that may seem good in the beginning and be conterproductive and cause more heart issues later.

I was asking myself if this was a Biblical response to a bad attitude. Immediately I thought of the "put offs" and "put ons" in the New Testament...

Colossians 3:8&9 -But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds,

Romans 13:12- 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.

Ephesians 4:22- that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,

Ephesians 4:24- and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

Colossians 3:12- Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering

Colossians 3:14- But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.


So, I came to the conclusion that a bad attitude is a part of the "old man" and we should put it off (or take it and throw it away!- as we say in our house) and put on a good attitude and with the good attitude comes love, servanthood, and respect.

I'm glad that God gave me this visual reminder to put things off in my own life and to put on the things He wants me to "wear".

Hope that all of you have a great weekend! Love and Blessings!- Angela :)

1 comment:

Tonya said...

good idea! Throw the bad attitude away. I'm going to try that!:)