Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

Well, yesterday something interesting happened to me. I would like for everyone to keep in mind that I'm using satire here. I am serious but in using satire you make a MUCH BIGGER deal out of something to make it funny.

I was going through the checkout line at a local store yesterday when the checkout lady wished me a Happy Valentine's Day.

I almost laughed. Thank goodness my brain is in slo-mo these days or I might have said, "what?"
I mean, I thought it was a day for people who love each other to show they care. The fact that we even NEED a HOLIDAY for this is pitiful in itself. Does my husband NEED a day set aside to show me that he loves me? No, he can do that any day.
Birthdays (including Christ's birthday) are different. They are a day, set aside, to honor and celebrate someone's existence. I thought Valentine's Day was set aside for lovers or family members (because growing up my mom and dad gave me and my brother candy on V-Day) to celebrate their significant others. I am NOT the check out lady's valentine. I am solely the valentine of Michael J. Lorraine. ok, ok, and my kids....

Now I know some of you are thinking...."WHAT?!- She was just being NICE to you." I know she was. I didn't make fun of her or glare at her. I just found it rather odd that a total stranger would say, "Happy Valentine's Day" to me.
I mean, wasn't she worried that it might OFFEND me? What if I didn't choose to celebrate that holiday? What if I had just lost my husband? What if I was one of the ANTI-Valentine's Day people?
Isn't that what we do at Christmas? We say "Happy Holidays" in case the person doesn't celebrate it, doesn't believe in God, or hates Christmas. We don't want to OFFEND anyone, right? So, I say what's good for Christmas is good for Valentine's Day. The next time a total stranger wishes me a Happy Valentine's Day I'm going to smile sweetly and respond, "Happy Holidays".

Maybe one day it will sink in that we should focus on the people showing kindness part and less on the part that offends us. Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day! Merry Christmas!- oh and babe you'd better have bought me some chocolate and flowers because, after all, it IS Valentine's Day!!

-Angela :)

No comments: