Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Our Weekend

Well I finally have a bit of time to record about this weekend.
My kids are in the kitchen eating ice cream and sweet cherries for breakfast. After a bug, where the kids haven't eaten for days, my husband tells me to let them eat whatever they want. Usually that only lasts one day but they take full advantage. Now unlimited candy is not an option but most else is. So, the boys heard Michael tell me that this morning and said, "We want ice cream cones." I asked them if they could eat anything else and Judah said, "Berries." So we got out the sweet cherries. They are happy.

This weekend we left very early in the morning. Saturday morning we were on the road by 6:15 am. We got to Charlotte, NC about 8:45am. Then I got lost for about 5-10 minutes. I was REALLY proud of myself though. I was able to navigate using a map. I know most people can do that but maps have always been really hard for me to use in semi stressful situations (ie:when I'm lost in a big city). However, the business has really helped me in that area. When I was home with just Judah and some with Judah and Thomas I used to have to sign up customers. I would have to use a map to figure out what day they were on and also to check the directions they were giving me. :):) I guess it's good that I married a trash man. LOL
So, I found the place and we parked. I must also insert here that one way streets confuse me a bit because I grew up in SMALL town Ohio and now I live in MICRO town Ga. Then, we walked back to our spot (using a map) and found a Bojangles across the street from the theater. That was great because I didn't want to spend a lot of money for breakfast.
After breakfast we went over to the theater and hung around till the show. They have nice places to sit/stand with huge windows where you can sit and watch the city. The boys kept commenting about how they loved the buildings. I kept thinking how I would never want to live in a city. I'm happy on our 11 acres. :):)
The show was great. Most of the actors/actresses did a fabulous job. It was a bit hard for me to watch though. I was just ITCHING to be the one on the stage. :):) I really do miss it.
Before the show I was watching the stage and remembering all the times I was behind the curtain getting into character and waiting to go on. Ahhh memories. In fact I actually started to feel butterflies at one point and had to remind myself that I had NOTHING to be nervous about because I was only watching the show. (inside I was LOL at myself) One good thing about the show was that the boys took turns sitting on my lap. I love to cuddle with them. I know it won't last forever. I notice that during special things Judah likes to be in my lap. It's like it's even more special because he's enjoying it with someone he loves. :):):)

After the show we met Christy and her two oldest. We walked over and got lunch, watched the kids play at the fountain, and then went back to Imaginon for a bit. The kids had a great time. When Christy was walking up I was noticing that she was definitely taller than me. I couldn't remember ever noticing that before and then realized that most of the times I talked with her we were sitting down. (play group, nursing mother's room) LOL
When we left the city I can't tell you how many people were SUPER impatient. If you sat at the light for more than a second people started laying on the horn. I can't drive in places like that. It makes me frustrated. The even more annoying thing is that people were coming right up on my bumper, almost hitting us, and also cutting in front without turn signals, etc. People do that in Atlanta too but without all the rudeness I felt in North Carolina. It was like the worst of southern and northern driving combined. I was so glad to leave the city. We got to Monroe and stopped at Target to get swim diapers. The boys were upset about that but I couldn't have potential diarrhea in the pool. (Thomas had an accident in the city and it leaked through his shorts. Judah had to stop in 2 different places to go.) I also bought 2 soft pretzels (one for me and one for Judah) and a frozen dinner for Thomas.
We got checked in at the hotel. Immediately we went to the pool. I was glad the water was too cold and a bit too deep for them because it was VERY dirty and I was grossed out. We went back to the room. I had gotten a whirlpool room figuring that the kids would enjoy that. We were filling in up and trying to eat something. I noticed that Judah wasn't eating anything. He hadn't eaten anything all day except the small breakfast. I asked him to try the pretzel and he said, "I'm fasting." LOL I was encouraging him to try a bite when he threw up all over the floor. He kept throwing up and then had to go on the toilet with the ice bucket in his hands. Poor guy. At this point we'd been at the hotel a little less than an hour so I called the front desk to tell her that we were going to have to check out and go home and could I have my money back. She said no. They had a 15 minute policy. I calmly asked her to see what she could do considering the circumstances. I explained we were going home out of courtesy to the hotel and future guests. We certainly didn't want to spread germs around a public place. I was trying to be nice! My mistake. Her manager also denied my request "given the amount of time we had been there." (LESS than an hour!) I know why they have the 15 minute rule but c'mon people. I called Michael and he said he would call and try. Michael couldn't get anywhere either. He said the manager was insolent. Michael was frustrated and said to him, "Do you want her to take the sick kid and sit in your lobby?" (he was trying to prove that we were thinking of THEM not threatening the guy) The manager's response was, "That's ok. We have people to clean it up." YUCK!!!!
Anyway, I got the boys in the car. Judah really wanted to go home. I informed the clerk that we had used the ice bucket as a "barf" bucket and that I had washed it with soap but it was going to need to be sanitized. I also explained that I had laid towels over the vomit in the living area so that they could locate it. She said, "ok I'll tell the cleaning person in the morning." I wanted to throw up at that point. I was thinking, "they're actually going to leave vomit on the carpet overnight." YUCK YUCK YUCK. Anyway, whatever. The drive home was 3 hours and I was EXHAUSTED. When we got home we put the kiddos to bed and Michael said I should go up and check Gid's diaper. He had been having blowouts in the bed pretty consistently since the virus. So I told him to change Gid and bring him to me to nurse. Gideon was VERY happy to see mommy and VERY VERY happy to see that the "breastaurant" was back. He nursed very well, sat up, smiled at me, and threw up ALL OVER ME. Michael had fed him hamburger and fries for dinner so you can imagine the smell. Two baths later (for each of us) we smelled ok. I put Gideon down and finally went to bed at 2:00am. I had been awake for 21 hours by then. sigh.
All in all I'm very glad that we went and got to see the show and play with Christy and crew. I'm also GLAD GLAD GLAD to be back in a rural area. !!
Hope you enjoyed the story.
Blessings!- Angela :)

6 comments:

Jane said...

first... where in Ohio did you grow up? I am from the NE area of OH.

AND... man, that bug sounds really nasty! I'm glad that you guys are feeling better now!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad too y'all got to see the show. I really feel for Judah though to have to ride home feeling so sick. I'm sure he was glad to get home. I pray that bug will leave you guys alone now. He's been there long enough.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the boys on their trip posted June 17 th.

Jane said...

I grew up in the Warren area... amazing how many folks I have met either online or down here in the Anderson/G'ville area that are from Ohio. Makes me wonder if there is anyone left in Ohio!?!

Andie said...

I hope everyone gets better soon, ugh!!! Glad the show was fun, I miss getting up on stage too :0(

Jane said...

Geneva... on the lake? Harding did host many music events... so yes... same area!

VERY small world! And the internet makes it SOOOO very small!