Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Time Travel Cooking Stories

This was an interesting idea on a post so I thought I would try it.

Ladies and gentleman please fasten your seat belts and keep your arms and legs inside the time capsule until the machine has come to a COMPLETE stop. Everybody in....everyone buckled? Ok, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF!!!

We are arriving in a small kitchen in the house I grew up in. The petite little woman you see is my gorgeous mother. The adorable chubby little blond girl is me. In this memory I am learning how to make eggs. I have always wanted to help cook but wasn't old enough. I'm not sure how old I am in this memory; perhaps 5 or 6 years old. My mom is showing me how much margarine to put in the bottom of the frying pan, how to swirl it around to get every inch of the pan, and how to adjust the gas to the perfect egg temp. (It took me years to learn to cook on electric ranges after I moved out to go to college because I couldn't "see" what temp it was.) She then shows me how to flip the eggs. It is great fun and I can't wait to learn how to cook more things.

We are now fast forwarding to about 6 years later. You will see four people at the dinner table. A girl about 12 years old, a boy about 10 years old, a mother, and a father. This is my family and we are eating dinner. The girl is complaining that she doesn't like it. (this was a VERY rare occurrence. She basically liked everything and wasn't picky.) My mother gets really upset and blows up at me. She then informs me that I can cook the next night since I like to complain. I answer with a smart aleck "fine!" I wasn't really upset about having to cook the next night's dinner. I was actually excited about it but I was hurt to be singled out considering my brother was a SUPER picky eater. Oh well, my mom had apparently had enough complaining at the dinner table.
The next night I got out my kid cookbook and made mini pizzas. Even though they were a tad burned everyone seemed to like them and I had TONS of fun making them. My mom was not pleased that I had used in the oven in the middle of he summer (we didn't have air conditioning) but I hadn't done it out of spite. It had just not occurred to me so she didn't make a big deal out of it. After the mini pizza dinner I talked my parents into not only cleaning up (because I had cooked) but also into going out for ice cream down the street. :):):) AND, it solidified my love for cooking. I began to experiment with more and more recipes.

Careful please our time travel is coming to an end. Please wait until the machine comes to a complete stop to unbuckle your seat belts.

To this day I still love to cook. I am thankful that my mom doesn't really like to and I got all the opportunities I wanted to practice.
There was one time that I used baking soda instead of baking powder in muffins and they tasted really funny but we don't have time for any more stories tonight.
Exit carefully please and have a blessed evening! - Angela :)

1 comment:

Jane said...

I posted about Geneva on yesterday's comments... oops!

Love the time travel! You should consider writing children's books with your gift for describing stories!

Thanks for playing!