Thursday, June 7, 2007

Sanctity of Life

OK, some of you may choose to disagree...This also may come off a little strongly...BUT, I just have to say this because I've been thinking about it off and on since Sunday Morning.

Last Sunday our Sunday school class was talking about growing old together. (specifically how to grow old and not grow apart as couples) The fill-in teacher is an EMT that teaches a class on geriatric something or other. He told us that the fourth leading cause of death in geriatric patients was suicide. I was like-WHAT?! I almost fell out of my seat. Ok that's a bit of a stretch but it did hit me VERY hard.

I guess it does make sense if you feel you are in constant pain or feel like you've led your life, etc. but what crossed my mind first was -
"This is one of the results of an evolution believing culture."

I really believe this. You see, in evolution the fittest, strongest, healthiest survive. They are the ones that matter. The survivors. The weak need to get out of the way. (FYI- Hitler was a big fan of Darwin) Also it feeds into our "me centered" culture. What can someone DO for us? Oh, the elderly can't DO anything, the chronically ill cannot benefit us in any way, they are simply "burdens on society". I submit to you that this is a result not just of evolution but about the way we view life. It is legal to kill unborn children, also Terry Schiavo (sp?), etc. The Bible talks about gray hair being a crown of beauty. It also talks about the older teaching the younger. Obviously God has a plan for the elderly. Their lives MATTER to Him. They are important. He wants us to take care of the old and to respect their wisdom. Nobody leaves this earth until their God ordained destiny is finished here.
Michael, my husband, also pointed out that their (the elderly patients who don't know Christ) thinking would probably be that if this life here on earth is all there is what would be the point of suffering here if this was the end- just get it over with. If there is no Intelligent Designer and eternity then- what's the point?
We also hear parents say all the time, "I don't want to be a burden on my children." Who told them they were a burden? I know that most parents are saying this out of love and some pride, but our society, as a whole, really does look on them like a burden. I think the Amish are, in this particular category, a beautiful picture of how God wants us to take care of the aging. I am not saying this would be an easy thing; particularly if the parent needed lots of care, but we're not always called to "easy things". Some things we walk out are HARD. We're called to think about others first. Our parents worked hard for us for many years. Are we now going to say to them, "Um, sorry, I know you gave and gave and gave but you are interrupting my life here." - :(:(
Am I saying that all of us need to take our aging parents into our homes? No. That's something God will have to show each individual person. Also, some parents need to be in nursing facilities because of the sheer amount of medical attention they need. I'm not trying to convict people of that. I'm simply pointing out that we need to take a look into our own hearts and see how WE view life. See if we've been sucked into the Smart, Fit, Strong garbage. Or, see if we truly do value ALL life no matter how "profitable" it is to our world.

I will close with a short personal story.

When I was in Zambia, Africa (on a missions trip) we saw the ravages of AIDS. Most of the kids in our school there were single or double orphans (The children there who have lost one parent are referred to as single orphans.) and lots of that was due to AIDS. We went to a crisis "nursery" to visit some kids and there we met Priscilla. Priscilla was born with HIV. She was 4 years old but looked about 2. She was thin and not expected to live very long. Most people would look at her and think, "What's the point to her being here anyway?" What struck me about this particular orphan was the glow about her. She was just glowing with the love of Jesus. It was amazing. She could sing, dance, and clap, with the best of them. She loved LIFE. God's Spirit and His love radiated from her. Some people would think her a burden. I thought her a special gift. Not many people have touched my heart as much as that little girl did in the space of a few hours one afternoon in the dusty yard in a crisis nursery in Zambia. Priscilla was PRECIOUS and her life made a difference to me. She also made a difference in the lives of the other kids and the workers there.

By society's standards she was a burden
but in God's eyes she was/and is a jewel.

Who's standards are you living by?

Blessings!- Angela :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Well said, Angela! ~ Tharen

Anonymous said...

I agree. May God be with you and your family.