Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I actually have neither read the book nor seen the movie but I thought the title fit. Plus, I figured that it would get every one's attention. :):):)

The last few days have been a series of schedule glitches. The Lord is using them to further His work of teaching me to roll with the circumstances instead of standing there and screaming (sometimes literally) "this wasn't supposed to happen NOW!" :):):) I have noticed as God continues to refine me that the less I get upset about the situation not being the way I personally wanted it or not being when I wanted it, the more peace I have as I work through the roadblock. I know that most of you are probably staring at your screen and saying, "Duh?!" but knowing something and living it are two different things. I have always KNOWN that information but actually living in this peaceful place is awesome.
Case and point this morning our schedule was supposed to be pretty easy. I was hoping to sleep in a bit because Gid is teething and waking up as may as three times per night even if I give him Tylenol before he goes to bed. Michael was supposed to have a light schedule this morning (including washing a truck we borrowed from another guy in the business) and then we were going to go pick up his truck from the tire store and be back in time for our load of wood to be delivered at 1:00pm.

So, what REALLY happened was that Gid fell asleep next to me in bed after Michael got him for me last night. He woke me up early by crawling over and over me to nurse. Then I heard the other boys get up at 6:00. Michael was already up (early bird) so I thought- Good! WRONG. I heard him usher the kids up the stairs and then he came into where I was sleeping and said we had a problem. The water pump for our air conditioning system stopped working and there was water seeping through the walls in the basement. SIGH!!!! HE took care of that and I took care of the boys. Then he washed Anthony's truck and the boys and I cleaned out our minivan. I haven't wanted to do that since we got home from vacation so you can imagine how messy it was. The boys were a GREAT help. They helped me return all objects to their rightful home (toys, books, shoes, etc-the extra things we took on the trip to amuse them during the long drive)and throw away the excess papers from Sunday school, etc. Then, to their extreme delight, we vacuumed out the van with our shop vac. They wanted to help so I straightened up the house while they vacuumed the van. Even Thomas who is normally a very hap hazard lazy cleaner was VERY meticulous about getting every little crumb. It looks GREAT! Not perfect but at least I don't feel so yucky when I'm inside of it now. LOL We drove over to the tire store to pay the bill and then we followed Michael to Cornelia to take back the borrowed truck. We jetted back over to Toccoa to pick up Michael's truck from the tire store and got home JUST in time for the wood guy.

Yesterday's interruption was more annoying to me...
I was standing in the kitchen, early afternoon, yest getting a small snack (what I REALLY wanted was a small nap but that wasn't going to happen) when Michael yelled, "HEEEEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I was like- OH NO, NOW WHAT! You see our boys play off of each other more than most children and like to do things together they normally wouldn't do alone. They were supposed to be upstairs watching TV. Since I didn't hear anything being broken and no thudding I was clueless as to the reason of Michael's outburst. I asked him what was wrong. He yelled- There's WATER dripping (more like a steady trickle) from the dining room ceiling. (We have a drop ceiling in there.) We sprinted up the stair to find them in the TV room. Michael asked them what they did in the bathroom. Judah replied, " I peed and we flushed the toilet but it didn't go down." So, apparently they flushed it again, several times. There was water everywhere in the two upstairs bathrooms (they are connected by a door) YUCK!! So, I had to go find enough towels (some had to come from the dirty clothes baskets- EW EW EEEEWWWWW) and sop up the urine water- which if you know me TOTALLY grossed me out. Then I had to get the water downstairs in the dining room. After that I had to bleach down all three floors, toilets, etc. and spray Lysol on the furniture where they were climbing after they stood in the urine water. YUCK YUCK YUUUCCKK!! This all was cleaned up rather quickly and the boys took a bath too. (then I took a bath) The REALLY amazing news was that except for pressing them to see if they played in the water in the floor and if there was really pee in the water- I didn't yell or freak out!! That's a HUGE victory for me and I attribute that ALL to Jesus! I was disgusted but relatively peaceful as I cleaned. Proof that God hasn't given up on me yet and is still continuing to refine me daily. :):)
The funny part is that they never told us about the water. They just left it on the floor and went back to watching television.
BOYS!!!

Anyway, hope y'all enjoyed the stories. Have a blessed weekend!

Love, Angela and boys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God that you know the Lord is refining you and not punishing you.

Christy Fritz said...

I'm trying not to find the 2nd water incident completely hysterical...I know it wasn't when Jayne did it... but not telling you and watching Tv...that's just too funny. :)

Jane said...

Events like this typically push me over the edge too... I to love it when I look back and see where Jesus carried me through the storm instead of me doing it on my own. He handles me so much better than I handle me!