Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Practical Choring

It seems the idea of chores is a hot topic these days with questions like; "When should I start my kids doing chores? How good of a job can I expect them to do? How much is too much? Should I give an allowance?" I thought I would throw my non-professional 2-5 cents in, since this IS my blog and all...LOL Please remember, these are my opinions. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best for their kids/family. I do respect families who do it differently. This is meant to show one way to do it. :):)

My definition of chores: normal work around the house, common jobs that are necessary for life.

1. When should I start my kids doing chores?
Whenever they are physically able to put away toys. Chores are not looked at as work in the beginning. Judah was 9 months old when he started helping me with the laundry. He would sit at the basket and hand me the clothes to fold. I realized that he thought we were playing. I thought to myself that this would be a great way to introduce all jobs in the future. (at least for a few years anyway) When they can walk they can put toys away. One year olds can certainly pick up toys. You will of course have to help them for a while and IMHO it helps to cheer for them when they are first learning. :):):) (Plus, cheering is fun. ) I always just let my kids help with what they could while I was working. Then, we were together and they were learning. ( You should have seen how excited my kids were when I told them they could dust. )

2. How good of a job can I expect them to do?
It depends on their age. I strive to teach my kids to do an excellent job. This means (most of the time) telling them to check the floor carefully to see if they missed anything, etc. They know to be thorough in their tasks. They also know they will have to finish. Sometimes I help them finish. If you have a child who tends to be overwhelmed with large tasks, break them up into a series of small tasks (or piles) so that they can feel a sense of accomplishment after each section. That should help motivate them to finish. In the beginning it will be more work for you to have them help but it will be invaluable later that you let them help at an early age. If you wait till they are able to help you without it being extra work for you then it will probably be a battle to get them to work. If you start them early they will probably not think of it so much as work but instead realize that this is just what a family does.

3. How much is too much?
It depends on the individual child. When they are exhausted or their eyes glaze over- they are done. LOL



4. Should I give an allowance?

This can be argued from both sides. I am not arguing. I think allowances can be a good way to teach money management (ie: tithing, saving, giving, spending). This is just to explain why we don't.

We are not paying our kids for jobs that come with being part of a family. Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, etc. are part of living in a house and are not things adults get paid for. I also remember the discussions I had in public school with friends who got allowances. Sometimes it can spur on that OBNOXIOUS "entitlement mentality". Or, you can have a child expecting to be paid for something they should be doing out of love and respect for the others they live with. My dad always had a lecture he gave me when I would ask for an allowance (I grew up without one.)...Honey, I pay your rent, your food bill, and your clothing bill. I don't charge you anything for those things...etc. etc. etc.

We do pay our children for work they do for our business. That's outside work and they should get paid for it. That's when we teach tithing, saving, giving, and spending.

One last thing...

We don't have a chore chart yet at our house. For now I still just have them help me with whatever chores I am doing. I make the guest bed and they make the master bed, they dust and I vacuum, we unload the dishwasher together, etc. It's time I can spend bonding with them and it really is fun to work all together. It helps that "part of a family" mentality. "WORKING TOGETHER WE GET THE JOB DONE!"

Sorry, just couldn't resist the little Bob the Builder song. My boys love that one. :):)

Gotta go exercise. :):)

Blessings!- Angela :)


1 comment:

Christy Fritz said...

yeh... i think i'm with you on the allowance thing. they don't know what it is yet,and i hope i can keep them in the dark for awhile.:)
we'll have to see about ways of earning money eventually though. i think i'll just send them to josh's office...i'm sure he could find something to keep em busy. they go for fun now to clean the trucks, etc. thanks for the idea of paying them for it. that would be a good "real-life" work lesson to relate to money-management.