Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Quick Story From Today

Do you ever have those days where you observe the behavior of your children and think to yourself, "I must not be doing ANYTHING right?"



Do you ever have those days when you see something good growing in their hearts and you think, "Well, I'm either doing SOMETHING right or God is just downloading things to him, or maybe it's a mix?"



I had a little of both today. This morning I was watching and interacting with my kids and thinking that I must be totally failing as a parent. Later this evening we took our kids to their first football practice. They actually didn't practice. The coaches divided up the teams and they chatted a little with the kids. While they were dividing up the teams amongst themselves the kids were supposed to stand against the fence and be patient. Let me remind you that this is a group of 20-30 BOYS ages 4 and 5. LOL Some of the boys were climbing up the fence, running and kicking the fence, slamming into the fence, etc. The coaches DID take what seemed like a LONG time to get their teams squared away on paper before they called the kids. What were my kids doing during that waiting time....(this is going to shock most of you) they were actually standing by the fence being relatively patient. They tried to climb a couple of times but we said no and they stopped. Whoa! At one point I said to our boys, "Be patient guys!" A father standing next to me laughed and pointed out their ages. I thought to myself, "I really do expect my kids to be patient." (not for 1/2 hour or anything but at least for 15 or so minutes) I'm SOOOO glad that for years I had moms and dads around me who expected things from their kids that the world would call "unreasonable" but that they called attainable. I learned a lot from them.

That's not even the best part of the story....(this WON'T shock you as most of you know that Judah and Thomas are TOTALLY devoted to their little brother Gideon)



At one point (they had been standing at the fence for quite awhile by this time) Gideon, who was running around in the grass next to Michael and I, took off running for the gate to go into the dugout and out of the field we were in. I was talking to another mom and Michael was watching Gideon. Michael knew exactly where Gid was and started after him but he was BEATEN by, not one, but BOTH of our older boys running after the baby to bring him back to us. It was SOOO SWEEET!!! The other mom commented on how great that was that they both went to get him. I told her that usually when we are outside I'm telling them to watch Gideon, make sure he doesn't wander off, and make sure he stays out of the road. (in case he moves while my back is turned. He's so FAST!) The boys are SO protective and loving towards him. This morning we found a wound on his thumb that looked a little "angry". It was in an obscure location so I had missed it during baths, etc. Plus he NEVER complained about it. He fussed during the hydrogen peroxide treatment. (as LOTS of bubbles bubbled up) Judah was next to me while I was cleaning it, putting Neosporin on it, and bandaging it. After I was through he asked if he could carry Gideon back to the living room. I told him sure. As he was carrying him he was crooning softly to him, "I don't like when you're hurt Gid. I don't like it when you get hurt." I was such a beautiful sight. Maybe we're not doing everything wrong after all....or maybe we are and the Holy Spirit is working overtime. LOL



Ok so that was 2 stories but you have to admit they were worth the read. Fine, don't admit it but I liked them. :P Goodnight all!

BLESSINGS!- Angela :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was worth you sharing. Put a smile on my face:)

Christy Fritz said...

sweet siblings...i love it when they show that side!!:)