Saturday, October 20, 2007

FASTING

I thought I would do a post on fasting. I am by no means an expert on the subject and I'm not actually going to talk about theology here. The Lord has just been calling me, for the last several years, to incorporate fasting into my lifestyle. I am talking about fasting and praying here, not fasting for health reasons; although I know people who do that too. :)



Before a few years ago I had not fasted much. There was a reason for it. It was not a purely selfish one.

I was anorexic for part of Jr. High and most of High School. I got better before college but still had some eating issues until about 3 years ago. For the last 12 years or so I have been attaining freedom in the body image area. While I was focusing on freedom, through Christ, I had a really hard time fasting because lots of old habits and old mindsets would come back up. During that time I felt that the Lord understood why I couldn't fast (food) and knew that my heart was such that if I could I would. Since attaining much freedom the last 3 years have been rich in the fasting area. I don't always enjoy it. I don't always come out of the experience on a spiritual high. I DO know that, many times, fruit from the times of fasting comes up at a later date. :) I LOVE FOOD! (I always did. Even when I was starving myself.) So, fasting is not easy for me although I used to be a pro at not eating. I remember one fast where my appetite was out of control crazy and I said something like, "FOR HEAVENS SAKE! I used to fast for purely selfish reasons surely I can go a few days for JESUS!"

I have been participating in the Bridegroom Fast this year. (I was on and off in the last couple of years.) For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, click here http://www.ihop.org/Group/Group.aspx?id=1000012476

for some great info on it. I have found my bride/bridegroom relationship with Jesus getting deeper and deeper and I LOVE IT! It gives me a chance to focus on HIM and NOT on ME! It's not always fun (though at times it's a BLAST) but it's always fruitful.

Here are some funny things I've thought regarding fasting lately:



YOU KNOW YOU'RE FASTING WHEN:

1. You really look forward to brushing your teeth because at least you get to taste the toothpaste.

2. The crust of your kid's peanut butter sandwich, that has fallen on the floor, looks amazing.

3. Your family wants to know how many days until the fast is over so they can enjoy foods that smell again. :)

4. Your family wants the fast to last forever because they get to eat things you would never eat, such as Macaroni and Cheese mixed with hotdogs. :):)

5. Your kids look at the special juices in the fridge and ask when they can fast too. (That would be when I'm doing longer liquid fasts.)

GOOD THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU'RE FASTING

1. You get SO MUCH more done than normal because you aren't stopping to eat; or trying to figure out how to eat with all the kids around.

2. You spend more time in Worship, Prayer, and Scripture.

3. The out of control sugar cravings cease during a longer fast.

4. You feel more in tune with the Holy Spirit. You spend more time listening to His voice.

5. You get to deny your flesh. (This one doesn't always, or hardly ever, feel good but it IS GOOD!)

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of now. :)

Gotta run. Probably won't post till Monday. I sing at church tomorrow morning, then we have a Sunday School Picnic in the afternoon, and it's family time till bed. :) Hope that everyone has a WONDERFUL weekend!

Blessings!- Angela :)


3 comments:

Elspeth said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful testimony. Good post.

junglemama said...

I don't want to sound confrontational, but isn't fasting more of a private thing that should be kept to yourself? Maybe I'm wrong.

God Bless.

musicmommy3 said...

Hi Christine,
Yes, fasting is generally a private thing. In writing this I wasn't trying to brag about how much I fast or when I fast. I was just wanting to share that God is healing areas in my heart and spirit where the enemy has had victory in the past. Also, I was hoping to encourage people to join in the bridegroom fast because those of us who have done it have seen much fruit in our lives. Sex, is also a very private thing but sometimes needs to be talked about so that others can heal or get help in certain areas. :)
Thanks for your reminder though. When I am fasting usually only my immediate family knows or those who are praying with me. Have a great weekend!- Angela :)