Thursday, May 8, 2008

BUSY BUSY BUSY

Yes, we have been. It's been almost impossible to post anything substantial. Don't get me wrong... I have LOTS of things to say. In fact, several times a day I think to myself, "Oh I need to post this,"... but somehow the time gets away from me. :)

We have been trying to finish up Judah's math book. He is doing well in it. He is finished for the year in language arts and both boys are finished in Science and Social Studies. We will probably do little Science projects during the summer. Technically we school year round but I can tell that they need a bit of a break. So, when Judah finishes his Math book next month we can take some time off. He was through with formal reading training also but he LOVES to read. He reads SO MUCH by himself that he is picking up more and more. He is halfway through his first second grade reader. WOW! He has a couple friends at church who are PS kiddos and he asked me the other day, "Can I go to Kindergarten?" I laughed and told him that he would be bored since he is ready to start 2nd grade in a couple of months. heehee

We are doing Park Day once a week. I just take the boys to a different state park. The last time we did the nature journaling but tomorrow they want to go swimming for the first time this year. We were going to go down the road to Tugaloo State Park but the swimming area is closed there due to the low lake level. The swimming area is basically nonexistent. :( I am going to try to find an alternative when I get finished with this post.

This is the CRAZIEST month is a LONG time. Between finishing up school I have a FABULOUS weekend planned with my best friend since eighth grade. We haven't seen each other since her wedding a little over 6 years ago. :( We just never seem to be in Ohio visiting our parents at the same time. So, we decided a girls weekend was in order this year. She will meet me in Atlanta next weekend. NINE more days!! Wahooooo! (Can you tell I'm slightly excited?)

A few days after I get back Thomas will turn FIVE years OLD!!! How did THAT happen? Anyway, he wanted to go on a trip for his birthday and stay in a hotel so we are going to Pigeon Forge, TN for a couple of nights. That should be lots of fun.

And if that wasn't enough craziness I was asked to sign (as in American Sign Language) for a wedding this weekend!! I don't know either the bride or the groom and in fact will not even meet them till the rehearsal tomorrow night; so it's all a little weird for me but I was asked and I wanted to help. ANY prayers you offer up will be MOST appreciated. :)
I am hoping that I will be able to do a good enough job so that her dad and step-mom (who are both deaf) will be able to enjoy and "participate in" the ceremony.

I REALLY do need to go now. I must do stomach crunches and GO TO BED!! Wedding Rehearsal tomorrow night. BLESSINGS everyone!- Angela :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

One week till girl's weekend! And hey - 7th grade, chica, not 8th!

Your signing gig this weekend sounds wonderful - good luck! :-)

Amy

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of the boys the good work they are doing at schooling. Have fun during your park days. I think it's great having park days. Have fun during your girl's weekend. It should be fun. Good luck at your signing gig this weekend. What a great experience. I pray everything goes well which I'm sure it will. Miss y'all.
Card Grandma

musicmommy3 said...

Amy-
I was thinking that the first year we were just getting to know one another and it was 8th grade when we started getting really close. I could be wrong though. It's been so long. :):)

ONE WEEK TO GO!!!!


Geesh we still sound like we're in 8th grade. Oh, well. ONE WEEK TO GO!!!!

Anonymous said...

:-)

DYEKTYMH?

Amy

musicmommy3 said...

DITTO!

Andie said...

Sounds like fun!! I haven't seen Tracy in about 6 years...one of these days I'll get out to Vegas to see her...and good luck at the wedding! You'll do great!!

Lea said...

Wow, your son sounds like he is really doing great with reading. You said that you normally HS year round. Does that mean you take off a month every three months or so? That is what I have been thinking we might do (not that I have to decide right away or anything) but I have yet to read anyone's blog who does this so I don't know if it tends to work well or not.
Hope you have a great time in ATL.

musicmommy3 said...

Lea,

Not exactly. heehee

Since we are required to do a certain number of days here in Georgia and since we own our own business and it can get crazy we just school year round and then we can take days off here and there as we need to without worrying about not getting enough days in. Our breaks are unscheduled. Vacations count as breaks. For awhile this year we were only doing 4 days a week. We flew through most of our material this year.

Thanks for the compliment on Judah. The funny thing is that I had NO intention of teaching him to read till 6 years old. I had had more than one homeschool Mom caution me that if I started that too early with him that he could burn out and then reading would be a chore for him instead of a pleasure. However, when he was almost 5 he asked to learn to read. We took it really slowly and he was reading well by 5 years old. He turned 6 in Feb and is reading on a solid first half of second grade level. Thomas is 4 and reading is not coming easy for him. So we're taking it REALLY slowly. He asked to learn too but he just doesn't get it. It's not clicking yet. There is a certain hormone (or something like that) that is released in the brain that helps you to blend words together. For some kids it is released later and they cannot learn to read without struggling until it is. I've noticed he can blend sounds together now so he's getting ready. He's about 1/2way through his phonics section so we shall see. I think he'll be reading by 5also.